Board index Equipment Film Cameras Leica M vs Voigtlander R

Film Cameras

Leica M vs Voigtlander R

stougard

Leica M vs Voigtlander R

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:01 pm

I bought 2 Voigtlander camera (Bessa R2 and L) and 2 Voigtlander lenses (12mm f5.6 and 35 f2.5). That's very good equipment in my mind and I'm very happy about it.

But I'm surprised to see how chip it's compared to Leica M bodys and lenses.

I know Voigltander is made in Japan by Cosina and Leica in Germany, however, I still search what makes the difference between theses two brands to have so huge price difference.

Thanks for your comments.

Stephane

zuiko40

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:28 pm

Leica has sturdier bodies and better quality control. Leica is quieter. There were apparently some quality control problems with early Bessas, but not as many by the time of the R2.
Of course there is no Leica equivalent to the 12mm anyway. I have the 35 2.5 Voigtlander (but the one with bayonet mount) which I use on my Epson R-D1, which apparently is based on the Bessa body. I think it is a really good lens. (As is the Nokton 50 1.5, which I love for club shots.)
Unless you are committed to film for all time, I don't think you will regret the Bessa purchases, since you will be able to use the lenses on digital rangefinders in the future. Currently there is just the Epson, but Leica will bring theirs out later this year. I also think Zeiss will jump into the game in partnership with Cosina.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Leica M vs Voigtlander R