Board index Equipment Film Cameras Minolta XG-1

Film Cameras

Minolta XG-1

instance28

Minolta XG-1

Post Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:46 am

I have a Minolta XG-1 that I used in college for a photography class and it worked beautifully even though I was just a newbie. I put the camera away for a while and I have no idea what happened, but now there is what I guess is a bad light leak. I have the 50mm lens and an 80-200 lens with the same result. There has always been a discoloration on the mirror that is only now causing an overexposed discoloration of the same pattern on the film. Does anyone know what the cause might be? Does anyone know if this is fixable or should I buy another camera instead?

dang

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:49 pm

Discoloration of a mirror should only be a bother while looking through the viewfinder. The mirror pops up to expose the film, and has nothing to do with anything but viewing, or the possible exposure reading. If you're seeing the same thing on prints, it would have to be something within the lens, or on it's outside elements. Have you removed it and looked to see if it simply needs cleaning, or if something has gotten inside the body? Remove the film, and fire the camera with the back open if possible, and see if something is stuck to the curtain. But be careful when cleaning so you won't damage anything. If you have scanned photos posted, it would help to see some examples if you'd provide a link. Good luck.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Minolta XG-1