Board index Equipment Film Cameras Advice on Canon AL-1?

Film Cameras

Advice on Canon AL-1?

tachlit

Advice on Canon AL-1?

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:00 am

My father's Canon Al-1 has been collecting some dust for the past 10 years...and since I've recently gotten interested in photography, am getting hold of it in a couple of months when I visit him..
does anyone know anything about this camera? except that it's an old camera (I think 1984)... am not sure as to anything else and haven't found much information on the web..
is it a good camera for a beginner since it's manual ( I suppose)?
He only has the body so any suggestion as to what kind of lense to get?
or is it not even worth using anymore?
Thank you to anyone who would have the kindness of helping :)

fishfin50

Canon AE-1

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:19 pm

I just picked one up off e-bay and it is a great camera to use, you should look for a 50mm FD lens on e-bay to start with they are pretty cheep compaired to the lens for my EOS, I also picked up a Tamron-F 1:2.8/135mm portrait lens for $25 and this thing takes amazing photos.
I realy dig this Canon it needs work by for the price it seems to be a good way to get going in photography

castledude

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:43 pm

Try this page for details on it...

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/co ... /index.htm

If you are getting some lenses with it you are probably OK with it for learning. But getting FD mount lenses might be a little tricky.

tachlit

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:06 pm

Fishfin50, Thanks for the suggestions on lenses ..
will you be posting any pics taken with the camera? would definitely check it out since it seems I won't get hold of the camera before 4 months!

Castledude, Thank you for the link...pretty informative!

fishfin50

Canon AE-1

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:08 pm

I hope to have some up in about a week

fishfin50

Canon AE-1

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:46 am

I have two photos in my inbox gallery for you to look at that I took with my AE-1, I only had 800 speed film which I don't really care for but it should give you an idea for what your AE-1 would do. I used a Tamron 135mm portrait lens on the color shot and on the B&W I uesd the same lens with 400 speed film. Hope this helps

tachlit

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:25 am

Hi Fishfin,

I just realized you're talking about the AE-1! I was talking about the AL-1.. cool shots though! :)

threeeightynine

Canon AL-1

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:05 pm

I purchased a Canon AE-1 many years back when they were one of themost popular SLR's out there second only to the "profesionals" Nikon or Canon F-1's and learned the art of photography strickly with the AE-1... after a couple of years I found as many did that since i wanted to use the camera multi function, and fast action.. as well in fireground photos, I found it easiest to get a Camera body set up for Low light applcations as well as "more normal" applications, but for tprice of a 2nd AE-1 was a bit prohibative, so while searching the market In NYC I ran across a AL-1
and purchased it, for Cheap! while there are differances in each...as far as "automatic" ness I really fell in love with my AL-1, using it for fireground pictures turned ot to be a lot easier then the AE-1 in either auuto or manual mode the qualty of some action shots was much better given the Focus features, as long as you remember what film speed your working with
and in the begining range your shutter speeds to see how things come out the best... it wont take long at all before you really have a good grasp on the Camera... One other issue is that the AE-1 needed a special battery while the AL-1
can always be fed with triple A's
which are simple to locate anywhere the over all feel of the AL-1 body is lighter and comfortable in the hands... naturally the lenses are interchangable in my case... Sadly
I cracked the battery case, so while it works I have set it asside rather then break it .. I truely love the Camera though.. while i like my AE-1... hope this helps
:)

bchalifour

Canon AL-1

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:18 am

Unless you have no budget but I would not invest in this:
1-there is no future for it as Canon totally changed its line of lenses with the EOS series
2-if you move on to digital (and you will probably), this camera and any investment in lenses you may contemplate will become totally obsolete
3-there are better (and more reliable) film cameras than AL-1 and AE-1 (that I would personally highly avoid), and with the advent of digital there are some real bargains around although only Nikon might be worth considering because there film lenses can be used with their digital cameras

... as for a lens, a 35 mm is my advice: good for family shots, vacations, landscape, documentary, environmental portraits.
Bruno Chalifour
92 Brandywine lane
Rochester, NY 14618
[1] 585 415 7828

jjandersen

Canon AL-1

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:11 pm

The Canon AL-1 came out in 1982. It's kind of a transitional camera. It is a well built beginners' camera whiich will take wonderful pictures. As for lenses, any of the FD lenses made in the 70's and 80's will work well. These are a dime a dozen for the basics on E-bay. (28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, and 70-210mm f4 zoom are all available for under $50). All of the FD lenses are a quarter of the price you would pay for the newer EF mount lenses. Hard to say you are going to loose too much money investing in this, and it's a great way to learn how to take pictures.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Advice on Canon AL-1?