Board index Equipment Film Cameras NEED HELP CHOOSING 35MM SLR FOR FIRST-TIME USER!

Film Cameras

NEED HELP CHOOSING 35MM SLR FOR FIRST-TIME USER!

lisasullivan

NEED HELP CHOOSING 35MM SLR FOR FIRST-TIME USER!

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:14 pm

Hallo,

I'm about to start a GCSE course in Photography, a fairly basic/beginners class, which focuses (ha!) mainly on film photography.

Students are required to own a 35mm manual SLR, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a film virgin? :D

I've only ever used a digital SLR, and have no experience whatsoever using film. I'd like something basic and easy to use, but something that meets all the needs of my course (ie. variety of settings, range of available lenses, all the usual stuff).

I've heard great things about the Pentax K1000. Some kind of 'classic'?
Can anyone let me know if this is a good choice, and/or where I could pick one up (in the UK)?

Many thanks,

~ Lisa

wau

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:55 pm

/
Last edited by wau on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisasullivan

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:50 am

Wow, that's great. Really helpful advice.

Thanks very much :D

jim_panzee

Post Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:22 am

You don't say which DSLR you are using, but if its a Canon or Nikon you may have a couple of lenses which you could use on a film camera of the same make, providing of course that they are not for Digital only.
If you have a Canon for instance there are lots of auto focus SLRs around, but if you want something which doesn't use expensive lenses, the Canon A1 is a very good camera, and uses the FD lenses which are brilliant, plentiful and cheap now.

You could try one of the many good camera shops in the UK for the purchase, they normally have a few good second hand ones for sale. It may be a little more expensive than buying private, but if anything went wrong soon after you got it, you could always take it back for repair or money back.

JimP.
JimP.

"So little time, so much to do, so many places to visit".

mesullivan

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:52 am

If it has to be a manual only camera and you go Canon you will have to get the manual focus only type I believe. I use a FTB with manual focus FD lens and if you choose carefully they will give as sharp an image as an L lens. Nikon has similar models.

I take it they want you to have something like the Pentax with match needle metering and manual focus ONLY (correct me if I am incorrect). Have you looked at a Nikon? They have current production models that are match needle meter only and manual and I think some of the auto focus lens fit them although the auto focus won't work on that body.

Nikon shooters please step in and correct me if needed.

wolfeye

Re: NEED HELP CHOOSING 35MM SLR FOR FIRST-TIME USER!

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:38 pm

If you pick up the latest issue of Shutterbug magazine you might find your camera. Voigtlander just released a new manual focus camera that uses the Pentax K mount. Another alternative is Nikon's FM10, but that camera has a mixed reputation.

wau

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:01 pm

/
Last edited by wau on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kman627

Re: NEED HELP CHOOSING 35MM SLR FOR FIRST-TIME USER!

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:39 pm

wolfeye wrote:If you pick up the latest issue of Shutterbug magazine you might find your camera. Voigtlander just released a new manual focus camera that uses the Pentax K mount. Another alternative is Nikon's FM10, but that camera has a mixed reputation.

The Voigtlander is the VSL-43 and is only available through photo village with the kit lens for $225. Good starter set. http://www.photovillage.com/html/vsl43.html Or just jump on ebay and do a search for 35mm slr. You'll find a ton of classics for a good price.

halesr

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:03 pm

You might try your local camera store. A lot of Photo 101 students at the university (required to start with film) pick up a used camera at the camera store. You can always compare prices with ebay. Also, I would think they would have a return policy that might be easier than ebay.

I agree with the person who asked which DSLR you are using. If you have lenses, you might want to stick with the same brand and use your glass on both cameras.--Rene

jackthrt3

Lisa's Photography

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:56 am

Forget the right camera for Lisa. Check out her work.
Good composition She fills the frame and her lighting is nice also.
Good photographer..............
Jack Bieser

llung

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:23 pm

I suspect you've already bought a camera, but I thought I'd still put in my two cents. Take a look at the old Olympus OM cameras. I have a couple of bodies and still prefer the results over my auto-everything f100. Older Pentax and Nikon film cameras, like the K1000 and FM2, have a tendency to cost quite a bit, and this is largely the result of demand, not quality. My OM2n cost me a hundred bucks on ebay. It's a fantastic little pro-slr from the late 70s, and at that price, you can't go wrong.

sloopjohne

Lisa, which 35mm SLR did you get?

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:02 pm

If you haven't found one yet, I'd highly recommend any of Canon's older manual focus FD series SLRs, especially the F-1/F-1N and T-90.

They're very well made --built to last decades-- and both bodies and lenses are quite a bargain these days.

I have a 32-year-old F-1 and an 18-year-old T-90 that still work beautifully.

SloopJohnE

PS: You're a wonderfully talented photog! I predict you'll go far!

primo_funkateer

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:03 pm

This may be a bit (ok very) late. But if you can get past people thinking less of you for not having a Canon or a Nikon. I'd say that the Minolta Dynax 505si Super is an excellent camera.

You have full manual control if you want it. Loads of features, plus it is light, portable and very capable. Best of all you can often grab them on ebay now for £30 in great condition. For £60-70 you can sometimes get them with 2 lenses. a 28-80 and a 70-300. It should cover just about anything you should need.

zekewhipper

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:53 am

I copied this response of mine over from another posting I replied to.

Hello All,

Here is a very different two cents worth of advice on what beginning camera to buy, (and when I say SLR I also mean DSLR).

I recommend (recommend mind you):

1. Buy a SLR.
I think everyone would agree that a SLR provides for the most creative flexability photography-wise for the least cost. Rangefinders are good, but more limited.

2. Make sure it has a built-in flash, but also buy a hotshoe mountable flash.
Remember, in photography LIGHT IS EVERYTHING! Without light, there is no photography. A hotshoe mounted flash (or better yet, wireless capability like on Minolta Maxxums) provide for the best flash photography pics. However, if it gets busted in the middle of something important, you still want to be able to quickly and effectively keep taking pictures when the conditions require flash. A built-in flash (as long as it is not also broken) allows for this. If you are in a situation that dictates either "no picture because of no flash" or simply "an O.K. picture by built-in flash", the choice is obvious.

3. Get a camera that allows for full automatic operation AND full manual operation including auto-focus AND manual focus.
Full manual operation allows for the most creative control. However, full auto. is especially nice when the situation calls for frantic picture taking. Cameras that have different "program" modes are nice because they let you see what happens picture-wise when different camera settings are used. But more importantly, I disagree with starting out all manual for one simple reason (which I have seen first hand). Some beginners can find all manual photography so intimidating, frustrating, and difficult, that they simply give up on photography as a hobby without really giving it a chance. None of us want that. The trick is to get them to start taking nice pictures quickly (especially composition-wise which full auto. operation allows) so that they want to experiment and keep going with the hobby. Beginners have got to enjoy it right from the start or they may quit. If they keep at it, then they have all the time in the world to hone their skills.

4. Think about "why" you want to get into photography. I started writing a book a short while ago about how to go about choosing the "right camera". In it I begin with asking the reader to think about what is motivating them. Without a doubt, the person saw one or more photographs and thought to themselves: "I want to take shots like that!". This leads then into a discussion on how the types of pictures they wish to take directly influences the features and options they should be looking for in a camera. Different cameras with different features are used different ways. I then discuss what individual camera features/options do and why. From there, I tell them to come up with a list of things they believe they will need in a camera. Then they are to find cameras (by doing the required research) that should meet their needs per their list. I encourage them to try to get their hands on different bodies of the various models and try them out.

5. Don't ignore ergonomics!!!!
Everyone has different hands, physical manipulation skills, memory ability, and levels of patience. All of these things also dictate what sort of camera they should be looking for and should become part of their list of required features. For example, if you have big hands, knobs and dials make work better for you. If you have a good memory, menu driven operation may not be that big an issue. If you walk a lot, then light weight may be desireable. So on and so forth. (I discuss the various pros and cons of those sort of factors.) Something I have also witnessed first-hand, is this. A person goes into a store, buys the first camera that looks and sounds "cool", starts taking pictures, hates fidgeting with the camera, gets fed up, and quits photography. The camera sets on the shelf and gathers dust from then on. Whatever camera you buy, has got to be comfortable and pleasant to use in your hands. If it isn't, then you won't want to take pictures. If at all possible, test handling the camera bodies yourself.

6. I'm starting to write the book on-line, so I'll end this soon. Don't listen to anyone who has irrational biases for any particular brand (and you know who you are). (I personally shoot Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, Chinon, Yashica, Zeiss Ikon, Exakta, and others, ALL of them on a regular basis.) So, I can tell you truthfully, there is no such thing as the "best" make or model of camera. It simply does not exist, because everyone is different and has different needs. The truth is this: The best camera you can buy is simply the camera that is best for YOU! Doing your homework before buying can not be stressed enough.

I hope this helps, and sorry if it seems I was ranting and raving.

With regards,

Duke (a Minoltian at heart)

kader79

Help choosing a Camera Body

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:53 am

Here are my 2ct. A camera body is just a black box. Any SLR will be fine. It does not have to be sophisticated. o, get one that offers the main functions (TTL, Manual exposure-ESSENTIAL, Autoexposre modes are a plus, good range of shutter speeds -2/4mn to 1/1000sec.- , mirror lock a plus, etc..), think also about lenses.
I think Canon A1, T90,F1 etc.., Pentax K1000, ME Super, Olympus OM's, Minolta's are all good choices. Available at a very good prices on the market (good reputable camera store like B&H, ADORAMA or on Ebay where you can find a good deal). Have a CLA (calibration, Lube & Adjustment done, seals in very good condition done) and you'll have a brand new camera regardless of the external Aesthetic look. And you can still have an additional calibration of your ISO settings according to your tastes by running some tests with slide film. One roll will be enough. Invest more on a good lens than trying to get a sophsticated body. You'll find a nice choice of excellent FD lenses at same places indicated above.Another suggestion, is get a book from John Shaw _Nature Photography Field Guide for example- , anyone of them or all of them (you can get very good used ones on AMAZON.COM), as he has a good chapter on buying a camera system. Hope this will help. Wish Good luck.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras NEED HELP CHOOSING 35MM SLR FOR FIRST-TIME USER!