Board index Equipment Film Cameras Horizon Panoramic Cameras

Film Cameras

Horizon Panoramic Cameras

richardlowe

Horizon Panoramic Cameras

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:25 am

Hey everyone,

I'm really really looking into getting a panoramic camera and right now, the Horizon line is the most affordable for me. I'm looking at the Horizon Kompakt, mainly because it's the cheapest ($250), but it has only one f-stop (F/8) and only two shutter speeds (1/2, 1/60).

What do you all recommend? The Perfekt is a bit expensive, but the 202 or 203 seems like a good medium.

I've never used a panoramic before. How fast does the lens move? Can you hold it with your hand? Or do you need a tripod? Does that mean I need to get a remote cord shutter release? I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I shell out the money!

Thanks!

--richard lowe.

djwixx

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:49 pm

For the same money you can buy a Canon compact digital (A640 etc) and use the stitch mode to give you panoramas. Not quite the same thing, but that's the scope of my knowlege!! Some indifferent examples at http://www.pbase.com/djwixx/panorama

The Horizon sounds interesting, but for me it would probably be a wow, then only get used half a dozen times.

tomfrizelle

Re: Horizon Panoramic Cameras

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:56 pm

I have a Horizon 202. For the prices I see on eBay, I'd skip the Kompakt and go for the 202. It's a little clunky to use, but it can be fun. A tripod isn't an absolute necessity, but if you're not using one you'll probably want to use at least 400 speed film to get handholdable shutter speeds. In my opinion, 1/125 and 1/250 are the only ones you should handhold. You can get away with it at 1/60, but the camera (at least the one I have) jerks a little when the lens starts to move. You can use an old style cable release on this camera. It screws into the shutter release button.

Overall, I have to agree with djwixx. I bought my Horizon back in 1999 when you couldn't get any kind of digital camera for the $600 I spent on the Horizon, let alone one that could stitch panoramas in camera. Kodak and Canon now make cameras that can do this and I'm sure others do as well. These cameras will also be more versatile than the Horizon. Also, as he said, the novelty wore off quick. I've shot maybe 30 rolls of film with it in the almost 8 years I've had it.

opticsgeek

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:04 am

Here is the most interesting price of $205 for Horizon Kompakt Panoramic Camera:
http://www.kremlinoptics.com/catalog/item/horizon_kompakt_panoramic_camera.html

jasonuk

Post Fri May 18, 2007 2:18 pm

If you are searching for a Virtual Tour Camera for taking virtual tour, I recommend one of the better 5 megapixel+ cameras. Get one with an articulating LCD screen, so it can be easily set up on a tripod with the lens vertical, while still having its LCD display visible. With other models, you may need to kneel under the camera to see the LCD display. A 5 megapixel resolution is more than adequate for most web based panoramas.

G :D et more information here
http://www.panpics.co.uk/panoramic-camera-system.htm

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Horizon Panoramic Cameras