Board index Equipment Film Cameras Medium and Large Format Cameras and Enlargers for them?

Film Cameras

Medium and Large Format Cameras and Enlargers for them?

a_zeitler

Medium and Large Format Cameras and Enlargers for them?

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:34 pm

I am looking to buy a Medium and Large format camera. The Medium formats I am looking at are the Mamiya RB-67 and the Bronica ETRSi. I like the price of the Bronica. I only plan to spend between $200-$400. on the entire camera, with lens and waist level view finder. Can anyone give me some insight to what the differences are?

As for Large format, I know nothing about them. I see the vintage and antique ones on ebay. are they any good? they are the Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5; Toyo Omega View 45E. I am not sure what size I would like but the 4x5 seems to be the standard of Large Format

The other problem I have ran into when looking at these cameras is an enlarger. Is there an enlarger that can support all film cameras (35mm, Medium, Large Formats) using different negative holders? I do not want to get two enlargers.

Any help is appreciated.

halesr

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:42 pm

I have never shot large format, but my husband started with a Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5 that he picked up at a camera swap in Cincinnati, Ohio. He has since gone with a Wista 4X5 Field Camera. It is gorgeous rosewood and brass. He has purchased off of ebay an 8X10 large format field camera. He went with the field cameras as he wanted to be able to backpack them in. We have even taken the 4X5 to China in 1990.

We have one enlarger that does 35 mm and 4X5. He had to buy an adapter to also be able to do 8X10. You could also contact print the 8X10 negatives.

There are some sites that specialize in information about large format cameras and picture taking. You might google. I will try to get more info from my husband and have him post additional resources. I know he has a book that he used a lot in the beginning. He has also done several workshops and classes at the local university.

Oops! Forgot one thing. The glass (lenses) should be high quality and they can be VERY expensive.

HTH--Rene

dang

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:54 pm

I've owned several medium and large format cameras, and know the RB67 well. For a medium format of 2 1/4 x 2 3/4, it's a tank. It's pretty large & heavy compared to most Bronica, but it's been years since I've used either. I can't recall Bronica models, but most it seemed are 2 1/4 square, but don't hold me to it.

4X5 is probably the most common size for view cameras, and should do much of anything you'd ever want. There's a lot of forums on the net you can find by using search engines, and typing in "View Camera" or the name & model of any camera for it's specifics. A great place to find used ones, and compare prices is http://www.keh.com before you decide. And an excellent source for sheet film is B&H or Adorma. As Rene points out, it can become expensive shooting large format but they offer wonderful perspective control with their tilt/shift, rise/fall abilities which you won't find in most medium and small formats.

I've owned a couple of 4x5 Field Cameras and a few view cameras. Field Cameras are not going to offer as much control, but are much easier to take along. Although I wouldn't call any camera using a bellows the most portable. The difference between them & View Cameras is the way the bellows is held in place. A view camera runs along a rail, and is held in place by brackets which allow your adjustments. A "Field Camera" such as the Graflex has the bellows mounted on top of a flat platform. While it offers some movement, it's limited by comparison. You'll need also, to figure in the price of film holders, and processing needs such as tanks, and reels for developing since each format varies.

If you want to use one enlarger for all the negative sizes, you'd need to get one which is able to enlarge an 8X10 inch negative as said, along with different negative carriers, and lenses with lens boards to match the film size of each format. And depending on which one you purchase, it's possible you may need other additional accessories. And of course, space might be a consideration along with price when needing such large printing ability.

Here's a good site you might look through for starters: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... view.shtml

Good luck, and happy shooting.

a_zeitler

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:58 am

I have decided to go with the Mamiya rb67 Pro S outfit. I ordered one today and it includes a 90mm sekor c lens, waist level finder, and a 120 back. I am going to be taking a large format class that is using calumet and toyo 4x5 cameras. I will most likely try to get one of those to work with.

As for enlargers, I am still up in the air on that one. Seeing that 4x5 will most likely be the largest I go, buying an enlarger for anything larger seems like a waist of money. I still don't know what kind of enlarger to look for (ie. Dichroic, Condenser, Variable Contrast). I am leading more towards the condesner heads due to the high contrast, but any help that anyone can give me on the different types of enlargers and what they do differently would be helpful.

Thanks for all the help.

nfl

Post Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:34 am

Did you find a camera that will fit your needs?
If not you can ask someone on mybackpackingbuddies.com as people there have quite an experience on backpacking.
You can also try dpreview though people there hardly hike or backpack.

good luck and enjoy :-)

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Medium and Large Format Cameras and Enlargers for them?