Board index Equipment Film Cameras Student travelling to Thailand/Cambodia...Equipment advice

Film Cameras

Student travelling to Thailand/Cambodia...Equipment advice

rvaccha

Student travelling to Thailand/Cambodia...Equipment advice

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:03 am

Hi Friends,

As many of you know, I am a MBA student in Philadelphia and currently doing a Intro to Photography class, in which I am shooting using a 35mm SLR and printing the film in the school lab.

In the class we are learning all tbe basic techniques of photography, e.g. aperture, shutter speed, lighting, abstract photography, night photography, landscapes, potraits.

I am travelling to Thailand and Cambodia (Angkor Wat) on March 01 (3 days to go! sorry for the short notice!) and would like to use the opportunity to take some photos.

I am using a Canon EOS Elan II and a Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Autofocus Lens

I would like to take a portable, lightweight tripod if available. I will be taking rolls of Kodak TRI X 400 36 Exp film and some Plus X 125 film.

What else should I take, keeping in mind that I am a beginner, but very keen to learn and take lots of photos!

Thanks a lot,
RJ

nickdemarco

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:40 pm

Snap! I am flying to Thailand on 4 March, then having a week touring in Cambodia. my main aim is to take photos.

I can't realy offer a lot of advice other than tell you what i have decided to take after much to-ing and froing:

1 canon 5D with 3-4 lenses (24-105mm f4L, 17-35mm f2.8 L, 135mm f2 L and maybe the 50mm f1.4 L, but I doubt it).

Epson P-3000 photo storer

1 Voightlander Bassa R2 rangefinder 35mm camera with 35mm f1.7Ultron lens

Lightweight tripod & lots of film

Crumpler rucsack
My biggest dilema was whether to take the used Canon EOS 3 35mm camera I have just bought. It is a lovely camera and of course all my L lenses would go on it so it makes some sense. however, it is a bit like having a film version of the 5D and i fear i would just take similar shots. The beauty of the little rangefinder is that it is a good camera but little and so easier to carry around for street or night photography. I figured it would be sufficently different to justify the taking of an additional camera.

have a great trip and please share your photos after you are back

Nick

nsoler

Re: Student travelling to Thailand/Cambodia...Equipment advi

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:23 am

Why not take a monopod like Manfroto MonoPod and Ballhead, they're portable lightweight if you can afford the graphite models and can be stored in check on baggage like I did for my Japan trip.

Cheers.

rvaccha wrote:Hi Friends,

As many of you know, I am a MBA student in Philadelphia and currently doing a Intro to Photography class, in which I am shooting using a 35mm SLR and printing the film in the school lab.

In the class we are learning all tbe basic techniques of photography, e.g. aperture, shutter speed, lighting, abstract photography, night photography, landscapes, potraits.

I am travelling to Thailand and Cambodia (Angkor Wat) on March 01 (3 days to go! sorry for the short notice!) and would like to use the opportunity to take some photos.

I am using a Canon EOS Elan II and a Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Autofocus Lens

I would like to take a portable, lightweight tripod if available. I will be taking rolls of Kodak TRI X 400 36 Exp film and some Plus X 125 film.

What else should I take, keeping in mind that I am a beginner, but very keen to learn and take lots of photos!

Thanks a lot,
RJ

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Student travelling to Thailand/Cambodia...Equipment advice