Board index Equipment Film Cameras Favorite film.

Film Cameras

Favorite film.

randomlychosen

Favorite film.

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:47 pm

What is your favorite film (color or B&W), and why?

I am getting into film, after not being satisfied with digital pictures. So, I would like to hear your preferences.

I am shooting the 2 rolls of Kodak 400Tmax that I bought a week ago. The first roll rendered so very good prints. They are very contrasty with a little bit of grain, I like!

wolfeye

So much to choose from, even today!

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:45 pm

The number of film emulsions is shrinking, so please don't latch onto one as an all-time favorite. If Kodachrome 25 can vanish, any film can. :(

My favorites are both color, and both from Fuji. Don't do much B&W even though it's trendy nowadays. Fuji's Reala print film is top notch in color and sharpness with little grain. For slide film, Fuji's Astia is the way I go. I keep it frozen until needed. Astia has the most remarkable, accurate skin tones of any film out there. I'd love to shoot a wedding on Astia. I bet more than a few pros already have!

jestev

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:42 am

I mostly just shoot B&W film. My favorite has got to be TMax 100. Almost no grain (which is why I don't use the 400) and great contrast. I need to go buy more actually... I just shot up all the 36 exp rolls I had (about 15 or so).
John Stevenson
http://www.pbase.com/jestev
Nikon N70, N6006; D300, D50
Lenses (of 20): Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF, Tokina AT-X 12-24 f/4 AF PRO, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI
Canon S1 IS
Minolta XG-7

joekid

favourite film

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:04 am

My favourite film is fuji reala for prints , and velvia for slides, i like the vibrancy of the colours and sharpness on anlarged images,ive done the black and white thing,i never seemed to like any of my own developed stuff, it was well developed and multigraded but?? all that cleaning the kitchen mullarky, i got into developing slides too but its hard with kids darting about,all them chemicals, small 2up 2 down, so im happy enough buying my fuji reala and velvia,, not tried the new 100asa though,

nsoler

Fuji Provia 100F

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:36 am

Using this film on MF camera yield large positives and were very easy to spot check on light table with a loop I could take a look at whole roll at a time and see which were keepers before printing.

For B&W I like the Fuji Across 100iso line smooth tones, push processing will yield very contrasty prints for this hip-and-trendy look now-a-days. Hehe.

korax67

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:40 pm

well,in black and white my favorites,after more than 10 years of shooting, are Ilford´s HP5 and PAN F, 400 and 50 iso respectively.

In colour I shoot only Kodachrome (64 and 200 iso),and Fuji Velvia (50 ISO).For available light photography there is only one choise, Fuji Provia 400F.

nickdemarco

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:56 am

I am a recent convert to Fuji NeoPan 400. It was the only B&W (non C41) 400 iso I could but on my recent trip to Cambodia. And I am so glad it was. The blacks are black (not dark grey). I get good contrast, sharpness and minimal grain.

http://www.pbase.com/nickdemarco/reportage
Last edited by nickdemarco on Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mad_monte1

Ilford's Delta 100

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:09 pm

I like Ilford's Delta 100 B/W film, esp with a Red Filter. I have a Canon 5D and still can't reproduce what I can do in B?W even shooting in RAW. I use a cheap Canon k2 body with my glass and still enjoy film... ( No sensor cleaning problems!!!

nickdemarco

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Sorry to be so naive (its the fault of digital) but what is the effect of a red filter on B&W film?

wolfeye

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:47 pm

nickdemarco wrote:Sorry to be so naive (its the fault of digital) but what is the effect of a red filter on B&W film?

The primary result is a darkening of blues, especially skies. Makes the distinction between cloud and blue much more vivid. If I remember right, it also lightens reds.

nickdemarco

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:40 pm

OK thanks for the info
I like the sound of that and will try it

rmlupu

Re: Favorite film.

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:54 pm

randomlychosen wrote:What is your favorite film (color or B&W), and why?

I am getting into film, after not being satisfied with digital pictures. So, I would like to hear your preferences.

I am shooting the 2 rolls of Kodak 400Tmax that I bought a week ago. The first roll rendered so very good prints. They are very contrasty with a little bit of grain, I like!

randomlychosen wrote:What is your favorite film (color or B&W), and why?

Depends on the conditions but for B&W

35mm - Kodak Tri-X & Plus-X – I like Tri-X for low available light and rating higher (1600/3200) and Plus-X when shooting for tone and fine grain in normal lighting conditions.
MF - Ilford Pan F & FP4+ - For medium format I just love Ilford. I feel that I get the best tone and grain with these films.
Sheet - Ilford Delta 100 & FP4+ - Same as above

For Color:

Color Neg
35mm - Kodak 100 UC Professional – Good saturation and grain.
MF - Fuji NPS 160 – Great natural color and very fine grain. Great latitude, this is probably my favorite color negative film.
Sheet - Fuji NPS 160 – Same as above

Color Slide
35mm - Fuji Velvia 100F – High saturation and great for cross processing
MF - Fuji Astia 100F (Velvia 100F if cross processing) – Astia in MF gives a high contrast and great normal color tones. Great for outdoor shooting
Sheet - Kodak E100 G – Cause Astia is too damn hard to find locally in sheet

bruce46

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:35 pm

I found Solid Gold Color Film much better than the Fuji Color Film I used previously. This is what the lady at the photo shop ask me to use, and it really delivered excellent results. Btw, I'm from the Philippines.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Favorite film.