Board index Equipment Film Cameras Help me to know if I've made a mistake or stumbled on a find

Film Cameras

Help me to know if I've made a mistake or stumbled on a find

alkijek

Help me to know if I've made a mistake or stumbled on a find

Post Wed May 16, 2007 8:21 pm

Hello experts,

I just bought a Canon TX SLR on ebay for 30 bucks. Poster said they didn't know anything about photography and it came from a parent who had passed. I couldn't believe the price, auction ended in 8 minutes so I bid and won.

Now I know zero minus 1 about cameras and I'd like to find out if I'm a dummy, unconciously brilliant. or somewhere in between. Can any one provide some advice, opinion, guidance, bad non-photographer jokes etc. on the Canon TX SLR.

My daughter is taking a high school photography class this fall and is required to have a 35mm film camera for it. I wasn't relishing paying $200 - $500 for a camera she may use for 6 months and loose interest so I turned to ebay to see what I could get. This is what I got. Hit or miss???

Thanks
Amanda

wolfeye

Sounds like a fair deal

Post Wed May 16, 2007 9:08 pm

I'm not an expert on Canon SLRs but for $30, if it's in good working condition, you didn't err too badly. I have a Canon AE-1 which takes excellent pictures with the 50mm f1.8 lens. The mad rush to digital has opened the door on many, many eBay bargains. I recently bought a superb Minolta X-700 outfit for $117, and that included the top-of-the-line flash unit for that camera, 2 lenses, a data back, and a nice case.

Shoot a roll of film. If the images come out nice, you did good. If the images look terrible, yer out $30.

wolfeye

One additional note

Post Wed May 16, 2007 9:25 pm

I took a look at the TX specs, and your biggest problem will be the battery. The TX (along with many cameras of that era) used a 1.3v Mercury battery, which is no longer made. Do a google search on 1.3v Mercury batteries and you'll see the alternatives. My guess is that this camera doesn't need a battery to operate, it just needs a battery for the internal light meter. You could buy a handheld light meter and set the shutter and aperture accordingly.

bruce46

Re: Help me to know if I've made a mistake or stumbled on a

Post Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:32 am

alkijek wrote:Hello experts,

I just bought a Canon TX SLR on ebay for 30 bucks. Poster said they didn't know anything about photography and it came from a parent who had passed. I couldn't believe the price, auction ended in 8 minutes so I bid and won.

Now I know zero minus 1 about cameras and I'd like to find out if I'm a dummy, unconciously brilliant. or somewhere in between. Can any one provide some advice, opinion, guidance, bad non-photographer jokes etc. on the Canon TX SLR.

My daughter is taking a high school photography class this fall and is required to have a 35mm film camera for it. I wasn't relishing paying $200 - $500 for a camera she may use for 6 months and loose interest so I turned to ebay to see what I could get. This is what I got. Hit or miss???

Thanks
Amanda

I believe you got a very good deal on the camera. It's a hit considering it is a beginner's camera which is what your daughter needs. For sample pics, check this out: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/tx .

tel

Canon TX

Post Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:30 pm

You got yourself a bargain there if it works OK. I have used other model Canons for 20 years, great results. There are loads of lenses available at really low prices, check out ebay. Also, I just seen on ebay, instruction manual for Canon TX. Item no. 130069354712, if that is any use to you. Good luck to your daughter on her course. Happy snapping. Regards, Tel.

peterarbib

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:25 pm

alkijek wrote:Hello experts,

Thanks
Amanda

Yes, it is a bargin. It takes 'FL" Canon Lens...Stop Down Metering. Find a Canon FL f/1.2 55/58mm and be amased at the Canon Glass...I had a 58mm FL f/1.2 for a short time. It is a sharpy!!

ebouny

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:01 pm

You get hit, Amanda :D

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Help me to know if I've made a mistake or stumbled on a find