Board index Equipment Film Cameras Developing film question: with samples of my try

Film Cameras

Developing film question: with samples of my try

efatapo

Developing film question: with samples of my try

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:24 pm

I made my foray into the world of film cameras in the last week. Last night I developed the film (Ilford Delta 400 - 120). I ruined half of the roll and one of the pictures was cut along a diagonal line going through. It would probably best be described by looking at the pictures here:

http://www.pbase.com/efatapo/new_camerapentax_67

Any suggestions? Anyone know what I did incorrectly? I was pleasantly surprised for my first effort but was wondering if anyone had any helpful criticism based on my results.

Thanks for any help
~Dan

ilanphoto

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:45 pm

It look a lot like infra red

In any case I can't help because I send all my film to be developed by the pros (or at least they claim to be) :lol:

jim_panzee

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:33 am

Dan.
We really need more info from you. I gather you only developed the roll of film, and didn't print them yourself, or am I wrong, like I said more info is needed. How did load the film in the tank, it must be done in the pitch dark, (in a changing bag under the bed clothes is best unless you have a purpose built dark room) but give us lots more details please.

stevo104

Developing Times

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:50 pm

Dan,
Make sure you are using proper developing times, temperatures and agitation techniques. You can find all the information on illfords website. It looks like you have a bit of grain, it could be the scan however. The more you shake the developing tank, the more grain and contrast you will get, also, the temperature of the water may be the reason you ost half the roll. Don't hold the tank too closely when you develop, the warmth from your hands will warm it up and burn it.

As for the entry.jpeg This frame looks double exposed, First with mountains (I can make out what look like tree tops) Make sure the double exposure lever is off if you have one...

Stephen Kancianic
Photographer
http://www.pbase.com/stevo104

efatapo

Thanks for your suggestions, another question though :)

Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:27 am

Wow, thank you all for your responses so far. I'll give you the information you asked for:

I only developed the roll. No printing as I don't have access to an enlarger. I work in a biochemistry lab so we do have a dark room. That's where I developed the film. I probably did hold it too long burning it a bit as I fumbled a LOT with getting it loaded on the reel.

Thanks for the info on too much shaking adding to the grain. I shook the thing up pretty well, wanted to make sure the developer got over everything. I'll keep that in mind next time, especially with ISO400 film.

I used Ilford chemicals for the proper amount of time and at the recommended temperature.

As for entry.jpg I'm not sure what the problem there is. It wasn't purposefully double exposed. I had someone else suggest that the film could have fallen off the reel as all of the photos past that jagged line were not developed at all.

After developing I left the film air dry and then I scanned it in with a scanner. I decided learning how to develop would be a good precursor to learning how to print :)

Thanks all for your suggestions! Just curious, has anyone used the Ilfosol S with Kodak Tmax black and white film? I picked some up on ebay and was wondering how universal the chemicals are. Thanks again!!

~Dan
http://www.pbase.com/efatapo

jim_panzee

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:13 pm

Dan.
A couple of tips.
1. Load your film onto the reel in absolute darkness. (no red light).
2. Try not to touch the film whilst loading. (practise loading with a used film)
3. The tank must be absolutely clean and dry.
4. The developer MUST be of the correct temperature before filling the tank.
5. Fill the tank slowly.
6. To agitate, hold the tank with thumb and finger tips (keep one finger on the top to prevent spillage) and invert the tank once and back again, do not shake.
7. Empty the developer out of the tank 10 seconds before the recommended time, and fill quickly with stop bath. Agitate as before.
8. Drain tank of stop bath at recommended time, and pour in the fixer, agitate as before and as recommended.
9. After half the fixing time, you can remove the lid and check the results.
10. Complete the fixing, drain and wash. At the end of the wash add wetting agent to the bath
11. Wipe the film with purpose made squeegee tongs dipped in wetting agent (you can buy one from the photo shop) before hanging up to dry.
Hope this helps.
Simon.

paulsilkphotography

Post Sat May 08, 2004 4:53 pm

Dan without seeing the negatives I can only make a educated guess..

judging from the lack of contrast and increaesed grain I'd say the film was under exposed or/and under devoloped, while increased agitation when devolping will increase grain it also increases contrast and as this seem to be lacking contrast I don't think this is the problem.
By the way I always found Ilford Ilfotec LC29 to give better results with Delta 400 :o

crafty
http://www.pbase.com/craftysnapper

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Developing film question: with samples of my try