Board index Equipment Film Cameras Lens(es) advice/recommendations for a Pentax film SLR please

Film Cameras

Lens(es) advice/recommendations for a Pentax film SLR please

daver06

Lens(es) advice/recommendations for a Pentax film SLR please

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:10 pm

:? I’ve been shooting for nearly 4 years, a bit of everything, but mainly macro/nature, landscape and family functions. I’ve also done a few weddings and would like to do more (to help pay for the hobby).

I started with an ist film body and consumer lens.

Current gear:

Bodies ;
ist – rarely used, feels like a toy compared to -

MZ-S (with a BG-10 grip) – my main body, pretty happy with it, feels solid and good in the hand, a good size and not heavy.

MX (from the seventies) – used occasionally, simple, rugged and reliable.

Flash; Pentax AF360FGZ plus off camera cords etc.

Lenses;
Tokina 19-35mm f3.5-4.5. It would probably be used more if I was in a place where I could use foregrounds in my landscapes more.

Tamron SP 24-135mm f3.5-5.6. Most frequently used. A very handy focal length range for lots of subjects particularly weddings. 24mm inside the bridal car, formal shots one moment at 40mm then an unexpected candid shot at 135mm the next.

Tamron LD 70-300mm f4-5.6. Though not used a lot, the extra reach is often handy as well as the change in perspective.

Pentax A 50mm f1.7. A nice lens that I probably should use more often.

Pentax FA 100mm Macro f2.8. My favourite!

I was after some thoughts and advice please. I think I have reached a point where my progress in photography has stalled a little and I’m questioning whether increased quality in my prints and slides is restricted by my technique or by my lenses. I hope I’m not just suffering from LBA. Also a clearer viewfinder would be nice. The 70-300 is a bit soft particularly at 300 and I suspect that it’s resolving power isn’t great as stopping down in some situations doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference – it is a consumer lens. Similar comments apply to the 24-135.

I’m happy with the 50mm and 100mm Pentax lenses (although a longer focal length for some macro shots would be an advantage sometimes).

Additionally, when using ‘aperture priority’ or ‘manual’ on the MZ-S, the aperture is set on the lens. This means that the aperture changes when I zoom (as the zoom lenses I have aren’t constant aperture), which can be a real pain sometimes.

I have heard it said in the past and more recently by a few that are much more experienced than I, that you can skimp a bit on your bodies, but you should use the best lenses that you can afford. Also that upgrading to better lenses will improve my photography and push me to another level.

I have done a little research on the net regarding lenses like a 24-70mm f2.8 and 70/80-200mm f2.8 and am encouraged by some of the comments Particularly the Pentax FA 80-200mm f2.8, however the last one that sold on ebay went for US$2,750 (new).

To be honest, my most used focal lengths would probably range from around 24mm to around 200mm and occasionally around 300mm. (maybe 200mm with good quality converters/extenders would suffice?)

I am after advice on:
1) my current lenses, thinking and what I’ve been told in this regard

2) other lenses I should consider a)with finances being a consideration
b)with cost not such a consideration

3) any other thoughts/comments

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Lens(es) advice/recommendations for a Pentax film SLR please