Board index Equipment Film Cameras Need a 35 mm film camera?

Film Cameras

Need a 35 mm film camera?

jimbo1931

Need a 35 mm film camera?

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:28 pm

My wife's Kodak Advantix 35 mm camera (using 35 mm, 25 exposure film) has just bit the dust.
I am looking to buy a 35 mm point and shoot type camera for taking family pictures and having them printed out on 4 X 6 paper at a local Walmart type developer. So I don't need a camera with bells and whistles.
I tried talking her into a digital camera but she was not interested.

Can someone suggest a camera model, manufacturer, etc and a web site to go to for buying same?

I want the pictures to be reasonably good but don't need anything exotic.
Thanks.
Jimbo

bobtrips

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:42 am

The Olympus Stylus is often recommended for 35 mm.

Check http://www.pricegrabber.com for the best prices.

(And try once more with the digital idea. You can get something such as the Canon A70 for a bit over $200, take your memory card to Walmart and just print the keepers. You won't have to pay for the times you didn't take off the lens cover. :)

zuiko40

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:33 am

I would second the recommendation for the Olympus Stylus Epic. The fixed lens one, not the zoom. Sells for around $89 U.S., maybe less now, at B&H in New York. This is one of my pictures taken with it. It's sharp. Easy to use. Yet has some sophisticated touches if you want them. This is one of my pictures taken with it:
http://www.pbase.com/image/8195198

jim_panzee

Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:07 am

If you want something a little bit more upmarket and for next to no money, and if size is not a factor, take a look at a Canon AE 1, with a standard 50mm FD 1.8 lens and set to automatic, you can click away all day long and produce some very fine pictures. This was my wifes favourite camera for a long time and she is no expert photographer. you can pick them up really cheap now, Ok you have to set the focus but this is no big deal.

jim_panzee

Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:41 am

I forgot to mention, last year I bought my wife a Rollie 35S. She is over the moon with this tiny piece of photographic magic, with its Karl Zeiss lens and easy program mode, some of the photos she makes with this puts a lot of my EOS5s to shame. But the thing she likes about it most is its size, it fits into her smallest hand bag no trouble at all. OK a little bit expensive especially the German made ones, but they will never lose their value.

jimbo1931

Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:51 pm

Just a word of thanks for all the replys to my post regarding a new film camera for my wife. You all have given me everything I need for making a decision that I am sure she will be very happy with. And, needless to say, that will make my life happier.
Thanks again. Jimbo

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Need a 35 mm film camera?