Board index Equipment Film Cameras B&W negatives to CD

Film Cameras

B&W negatives to CD

debbitydawg

B&W negatives to CD

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:47 pm

Hello all!

Just in the process of getting a 35mm B&W film processed, however, I was told that they couldn't transfer to CD - like you can when you get colour processing done.

This doesn't sound right to me and I'd very much like to get the negs onto CD in a more useable digital format. Any suggestions of how I can get this done, once I receive my negatives back?

I'm in the UK by the way, if that makes any difference!!

Thanks, Debbie

wolfeye

Is this C-41 B&W film?

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:58 pm

If so, they should be able to make a CD in the same fashion they do with other (color) C-41 films. Could be that they don't know that.

On the other hand, if it's D-76 chemistry B&W film, yes, they are correct, it'd be an extra step to do scanning and it'd have to be done manually. If they can't or won't do it, look at Popphoto.com which has a current article on a service that does scanning.

pdbolton

B&W Negs to CD

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:07 am

Hi. I recently took some of my B&W negatives from film I processed some 30 years ago to a local photo shop here on Okinawa. They returned 2 CD's formatted into a Kodak Slide Show with excellent results. All the B&W film I used was developed in D-76 or Microdol so it seemed to be no problem for them. I assume that the negatives were scanned on a commerical scanner specifically for negative film and then enhanced and burned to CD with a photoshop type program. Shortly there after I purchased an Epson Photo RX500 Scanner & Printer and started scanning on my own. Found it to be more cost effective as I have about 1500 negatives and slides that I took back in the "age of film". I would shop around for a photo service in your area that will do it for you or find a service on line where you can send them but it can be done. You can view my B&W galleries to see the results. The gallery of my son was from the CD's the photo service processed, the other 2 galleries were what I scanned & processed.
Paul D. Bolton
http://www.pbase.com/pdbolton/galleries

jerrykneupper

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:44 pm

I have an Epson 4490 flat bed scanner which is capable of scanning 35mm and 120 negatives. I have had good luck scanning them myself. I got the scanner for around $100 refurbrished from the Epson.com web site. If you have a lot of negatives, it could pay for itself rather quickly.

BTW: it's also easy to scan color negatives.

-=- Jerry -=-

Board index Equipment Film Cameras B&W negatives to CD