Board index Equipment Film Cameras Returning to film - is there anybody out there?

Film Cameras

Returning to film - is there anybody out there?

teo_sirbu

Re: Returning to film - is there anybody out there?

Post Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:20 pm

The topic is rather old by today speed-age standards ,but I love the title !!!!
And yes, I am another one turning back to film...it's another sensation than digital.

dct

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:09 am

Not really a new topic, but I started using PBase because I reactivated my old film gear. And now I like to mix up galleries with digital and analog shots.

creakingbones

Post Thu May 26, 2011 11:25 am

I too have gone back to mixing the chemistry for monochrome film. More intimate, calming and brings the brain back to making the image happen. My Nikon F5 is like a long lost friend. Kodak Tmax 400 is my film of choice. Everything positive said about it is absolutely true, and there are no negatives, no pun intended.

tsiya

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:33 am

I just finished overhauling a Pentax K1000. I now have 3 Minoltas in 35mm, an XG-M, an X9 and an XTSI, and the Pentax. I use an Epson 3590 to scan the negatives. I don't develop, just don't have space for a darkroom.
I shoot a lot more digital but I enjoy the variety and I like to work on the old cameras, although I only tackle simple repairs.
Getting quality developing can be a problem around here, some of the operators don't even try to do a good job and keep fresh chemicals and proper temperatures. I've had scratched and dirty negatives returned several times.

popawalker

Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Wow, this is an old thread. I enjoy shooting both digital and film. I currently keep a 5Dmark2 and a Canon 1V in my camera bag. I used to carry an Olympus om-2n before getting the 1V. I obtained a Bronica ETRSi and really enjoy shooting with it. Recently I traded a Canon 1N for a Pentax 6X7, still haven't developed the roll from it yet, been too busy with work. While I enjoy the ease of digital, I will shoot film as long as I can get it.

gink_oh

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:54 am

I don't take film anymore, but I am always wanted to go back take some film, as a matter of fact I still have some 36 rolls in the frige they probably no good anymore. It become harder to find place to develop film, I still have my enlarger, when I get around I will setup my darkroom again, then I will take more film. Sadly I just heard that Kodak just announce Chapter 11. I don't how longer gonna take to be not able to get film anymore. I am a little lucky because I live in NYC, still able to hop on the subway to B&H get some file or related product.
Anyway, I hope film will stay as long as possible.

dw_thomas

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:29 am

I still shoot a fair amount of film, mostly B&W in 120 rolls (which I process myself). It's true that local film sources are few and far between, but I plan ahead and maintain a small stock via online suppliers. B&H in NYC and Freestyle in California are two good sources. The Kodak Chapter 11 filing is disappointing, but they may keep going or perhaps sell off the film division to some outfit looking for a niche business; bad decisions over a number of years have caught up with them.

Fuji still produces some quite decent film. And Ilford in the UK, after crashing a number of years back, has been resurrected with a good assortment of B&W films and papers. They have also made public commitments to produce B&W material as long as there is a market for it. There are several other film producers in eastern Europe and the Far East still operating also.

DaveT

slentz

Post Fri May 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Returning to film - is there anybody out there??

Never left.

I have been using film exclusively for years, not out of any misguided belief in any important inherent difference with digital, but mainly because it’s what I understand. That and the fact that medium and large format film cameras are such a steal these days.

So is darkroom equipment. I am building my first. Actually, at this point, acquiring the equipment. A beautiful Omega D2, lenses for medium and large format, processing equipment, etc. for next to nothing. Film, paper and chemicals seem available enough for the time being and the more or less foreseeable future. It’s a get off my butt moment. Retiring from a high school chemistry teacher career, relocate to Peru, set up a black and white darkroom…

What could be better??!!

Any one else out there??

sueymarky

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:12 pm

I have my AE-! program :) Cnon :)

flyboy

Post Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:54 pm

tonymcgartland wrote:After a few years absencefrom photography I am taking a keen interest in the thought of taking pictures (not IMAGES, I hate that digi-word) again on by beloved Rolleiflex. Thing is, since my absense I wonder is film still readily available, will it be discontinued soon or should I just carry on as it is just a strong as ever. Can anybody let me know 'cos I don't even read the camera mags any longer.

I just checked the date....damn, it's old! But...here goes, even though you have likely solved your questions by now! Rolleis Rule! I've had 2...2 1/4 is sharper than any 35mm or digicamera can hope to be! Film is available, and plentiful..even today in our "enlightened" Digital era. Get a light meter, a good one, and learn to use it! Pick ONE film...and learn what it will do, then branch out, if you see a need. That saves lots of hate and discontent! Will you develop it yourself? Lots of choices, but not the "better, cheaper" products! I'd suggest Kodak Tri-X, shot at ~300 for better shadow detail or Ilford XP2. Marvelous films...Ilford, shot at ~300 is said to "grain down", and it places skin tones closer to human values. If you will have your film processed, find a vendor that can give you the "best" quality and consistency. Most 19 year old "technicians" have a hard time finding their backsides with a flashlight and anatomy chart! Good luck...Ohhhh, you'll have fun!

Previous

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Returning to film - is there anybody out there?