Board index Equipment Film Cameras Canon 10D question

Film Cameras

Canon 10D question

mia_rosario

Canon 10D question

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:59 pm

Anyone using a canon 10D,
I know this may be a stupid question but do the lenses from the 35mm. slr cameras interchange with the 10D? Thanks,
~~Mia

ukexpat

Re: Canon 10D question

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:10 pm

mia_rosario wrote:Anyone using a canon 10D,
I know this may be a stupid question but do the lenses from the 35mm. slr cameras interchange with the 10D? Thanks,
~~Mia

Wrong forum, but here goes. Yes, the 10D is an EOS system camera and all EF lenses will work with it. One point to be aware of: the 10D's sensor is smaller than a 35mm film frame so the lenses have an effective focal length of 1.6x when used on the 10D (actually it is a crop factor but it is easier to described as a focal length multiplier). That means that a 50mm lens has an effective focal length of 80mm when used on the 10D. This does not present any operational issues as when you look through the viewfinder, the crop is taken into account so what you see is what you get.

The only drawback of the crop factor is at the wider focal lengths. A 28mm lens is the equivalent of 44.8mm on the 10D, so if you want to go wide, say the equivalent field of view of a 28mm lens on a 35mm SLR, you need a 17.5mm lens.

mia_rosario

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:50 pm

sorry about the forum mix-up and thank you so much for the info. I am looking into the 10D and wanted to be able to use all of my current lenses. Thanks again,
~~Mia

ukexpat

Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:37 pm

mia_rosario wrote:sorry about the forum mix-up and thank you so much for the info. I am looking into the 10D and wanted to be able to use all of my current lenses. Thanks again,
~~Mia

I was a bit snippy there -- sorry about that. You will be quite at home with the 10D. If you have any of the newer Speedlites they too work on the 10D with full functionality.

mia_rosario

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:32 am

Thanks again for the info. Sounds like I can't go wrong with this unit. I just need to come up with the cash now. I have found one for 1,500. does that sound about right on the price?

ukexpat

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:30 pm

mia_rosario wrote:Thanks again for the info. Sounds like I can't go wrong with this unit. I just need to come up with the cash now. I have found one for 1,500. does that sound about right on the price?

That's about right - just make sure that the seller is an authorised Canon dealer and that they have quoted you a price for a model with a US warranty (assuming you are in the US) and not a "grey" import.

Also when you get the camera you will find that there are many configuration options. While it is possible to use the 10D as a "point and shoot" you will find that you can produce much better images if you spend some time exploring all the options, especially RAW mode.

framewerkz

Post Mon May 31, 2004 3:01 pm

The 10D is a great 'prosumer' DSLR with a feature set that merits a great deal of exploration. I have its predecessor, the D60, and the 10D just beats it hands down with its improved metering. You'll have a lot of fun. What you lose on the wide angle with the focal length multiplier of 1.6x you gain at the longer ranges, so really it's swings and roundabouts. Look to moving past shooting on P-mode and get to play around with Av as soon as you can. Happy shooting!
For the arty-farty crap, go here:
http://www.pbase.com/framewerkz

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Canon 10D question