Board index Equipment Film Cameras Why I shoot film

Film Cameras

Why I shoot film

strbender

Re: Why I shoot film

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:19 am

Hi All

I'm a newbie here

What is this Digital thing that everyone seems to be talking about for the last few years ? :shock:

I love my Nikon F100 & FM2n and until I start loosing jobs because I only use film then, and only then will I rethink my business plan. But for now it's film, film and more film for me. It's also what was said by everyone above. When was the last time you had to stand 10 feet back or more from a 11"x14" print hanging on a wall in order for it to look good?

captain_superlekker

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:55 pm

Thank God! I thought PBase was all-digital!

I shoot some digital, some film. Shooitng one doesn't exclude the other.

For the price of a half-decent point and shoot, I can get a Hasselblad 500 with a lens.
For the price of an entry-level SLR, I can get a Leica M6.
Both are top of the range cameras and superior to anyhting digital.
It is sometimes nice to compose and think about the picture rather than just shoot away and then deleter most pictures.

Both film and digital have their places, and nothing annoys me more than people who give me grief for still shooting film.

bluechamp

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:26 am

I shoot film because I like REAL cameras. No plastic, no sensor, no livewiev and stuf. Just plain mechanics. I shoot Leica because it's at REAL kamera!!! :D

madlights

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:23 pm

For the past almost 10 years, I've pretty much shot digital. I now have bought my first BW film in a long time. To me digital, because of the ease, the cheapness of being able to take a lot of shots (too many) grabbed me. To me digital does have certain qualities which can also be it's weakness. The clearness of it...almost like digital music compared to analog on a good stereo. It has a transparency like that I think. Sometimes to the point of being able to detect that something is missing. Think the real thing with film, is that you are shooting using a standard. Yeah you can process it for contrast, you can cross process, and lots of stuff...but basically when taking a shot you are striving to do the best within "rules" even if you break them. Digital doesn't have rules, people can and do about anything with it. I've seen photos so saturated, that the colors were almost dripping off etc. etc... I've known people who clone stuff in, and even sell the stuff. Film is different...sure you "can" do stuff with scans, but it seems most people who shoot it, don't have that frame of mind. Maybe digital will someday lose it's anarchism...it's new...and people are experimenting. But I've missed the rules and standards that film imposes...even if they can be broken.

jypsee

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:23 pm

madlights wrote:. . . I've known people who clone stuff in, and even sell the stuff. Film is different...sure you "can" do stuff with scans, but it seems most people who shoot it, don't have that frame of mind. Maybe digital will someday lose it's anarchism...it's new...and people are experimenting. But I've missed the rules and standards that film imposes...even if they can be broken.

Film stock is/was manufactured to produce various effects (saturation, grain, etc.) so the digitial VS film argument falls apart there. Film is no less subject to manipulation than digital. The film darkroom is perhaps less accessible than the digital darkroom, but it absolutely is/was possible to "do stuff" without scanning.
http://www.uelsmann.net/
http://www.photovisionmagazine.com/arti ... smann.html

I use film for the simple fact that I like the way it looks. I also use digital -- because I like the immediacy of it.

Mary in SW Florida

prinothcat

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:20 pm

I shot film because I love to hear a Nikon Shutter fire... That and a motor drive. Call me weird. Add in that quality film cameras are so easy to get a hold of and aren't rendered obsolete/disposable every 6-12 months.....

madlights

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:27 pm

I guess what I was trying to get at...is that for 'most' people, film has a certain finality to it. Especially if you don't have a darkroom...or don't manipulate much in one. It gives me a different feel when I hear the shutter "clack" in a film camera. You kind of know that if you take a shot and you do "x", that if your lucky and have done some stuff right that "y" might come out. So many people use digital like a machine gun...I don't know if it's right or wrong, but it's different. I like the look of film too.

Jypsee thanks for the link...when I saw the photographers work...I remembered him. Some awesome creative stuff. And I agree that film can be and is manipulated too sometimes very creatively...but for myself with no access to a darkroom now...guess I should have said "for myself". I guess what I was trying to say is that I like thinking about what I shoot sometimes (with film especially) beforehand, rather than the more intuitive shooting I do with digital. I think the two can, as you say, compliment each other...and maybe either can benefit from the other. Also you are correct that honesty isn't imposed by the medium...nor is creativity limited by it. It's just that some of those who I've seen who've done dishonest stuff, with no disclosure of it (as opposed to creative), just to sell...would have had no idea how to have done it with film...but probably if shooting film would have done something else in that regard... or learned how to...or have taken a career up as an investment banker :wink:

prinochat said:
I love to hear a Nikon Shutter fire... That and a motor drive
The shutter YEP! the motor drive?....I always tried never to hold my finger down too long...I'd keep seeing dollar signs :) but they do sound neat. I'd actually run mine with no film sometimes just to hear it go...and you thought yourself weird? :)

prinothcat

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:54 pm

madlights wrote:prinochat said:
I love to hear a Nikon Shutter fire... That and a motor drive
The shutter YEP! the motor drive?....I always tried never to hold my finger down too long...I'd keep seeing dollar signs :) but they do sound neat. I'd actually run mine with no film sometimes just to hear it go...and you thought yourself weird? :)

Is there a support group for people like us? :lol: :roll: I don't use my drive at full capacity, hell my F-5 will blow a roll of 36 in what 6 seconds? That and proabably rip the tail right out of the cassette.

madlights

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:57 pm

prinochat said:
hell my F-5 will blow a roll of 36 in what 6 seconds? That and proabably rip the tail right out of the cassette.

Yeah and the one on my Minolats isn't even a full blown motor drive, just an auto winder type at about 2-3 frames a second. I'd hate to see myself with a Nikon :lol:

prinothcat

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:24 pm

madlights wrote:prinochat said:
hell my F-5 will blow a roll of 36 in what 6 seconds? That and proabably rip the tail right out of the cassette.

Yeah and the one on my Minolats isn't even a full blown motor drive, just an auto winder type at about 2-3 frames a second. I'd hate to see myself with a Nikon :lol:

If you're ever in my half of the world send a line I'll loan you one... Just for about 30 seconds though, that's all it'll take.. :twisted:

Previous

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Why I shoot film