Board index Equipment Film Cameras Advice on a new (old) camera

Film Cameras

Advice on a new (old) camera

jars

Advice on a new (old) camera

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:42 am

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a new camera but don't really know what brand I'm looking for, so I've come here before I waste money on ebay.
I've been using a Nikon FE for years, but I want to move away from SLR's with their fancy features. I want something small, with hotshoe and most importantly, no locking mechanism on the shutter. This is important because I want to do multiple/partial exposures. All on 35mm.
Is this still possible to find, or am I looking for the Holy Grail? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wolfeye

Canon A-1

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:26 pm

I'd suggest a Canon A-1. They aren't expensive on eBay right now and have nice double-exposure capability.

You can do it with your FE, too. Simply shoot a roll, rewind and leave the film leader out, then reload. You'll need to be sure the film sprockets line up the same way. If there are shots you don't want to double expose simply "shoot" those shots at max shutter speed and smalles aperture with the lens cap on.

thazooo

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:13 pm

You might try some of the old rangefinders from the 1950's. Very small, have hot shoes and if the shutter doesn't stay 'cocked' it's easily reset by pushing in a small pin. Ciro 35, argos c3, Bolsey...all come to mind.
I've also done multi by pushing in the button for rewind and then cocking the shutter. I then turn loose of the rewind button. Doing this cocks the shutter with out advancing the film. You'll have to play with it to get the routine down.

prinothcat

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:13 pm

thazooo wrote:.
I've also done multi by pushing in the button for rewind and then cocking the shutter. I then turn loose of the rewind button. Doing this cocks the shutter with out advancing the film. You'll have to play with it to get the routine down.

This method has always served me well with a Canon A-1.. Nope mine is not for sale either.

jars

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:14 am

Thanks for your help. I've found a few things on ebay. I know I can double expose on my Nikon, however I'd like to do so on the spot, rather than wind the film back. Call me lazy.

wolfeye

You did what with the A-1?

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:17 am

prinothcat wrote:
thazooo wrote:.

This method has always served me well with a Canon A-1.. Nope mine is not for sale either.

Isn't it easier just to use the A-1's built in multiple-exposure capability? See:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/co ... _Exposures

prinothcat

Re: You did what with the A-1?

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:51 am

wolfeye wrote:Isn't it easier just to use the A-1's built in multiple-exposure capability? See:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/co ... _Exposures

don't remember.. I haven't shot multi with that body in years... literally years , actually maybe never. I'd just use my D-200 and not have to f*&# around with figuring out the exposure values..... Then again multi exposure isn't really my thing. Oh yeah it is really simple to set up now that I look at eh link.

thazooo

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:20 pm

jars wrote:Thanks for your help. I've found a few things on ebay. I know I can double expose on my Nikon, however I'd like to do so on the spot, rather than wind the film back. Call me lazy.

Get a Ciro 35, made by Graflex, Century shutter. Not a bad lens but hey it's a P&S rangefinder. Shutter firers without being cocked. The fun part begins when you can't remember if you advanced the film or not :-)

mojobebop

Re: Advice on a new (old) camera

Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:48 pm

jars wrote:Hi everyone. I'm looking for a new camera but don't really know what brand I'm looking for, so I've come here before I waste money on ebay.
I've been using a Nikon FE for years, but I want to move away from SLR's with their fancy features. I want something small, with hotshoe and most importantly, no locking mechanism on the shutter. This is important because I want to do multiple/partial exposures. All on 35mm.
Is this still possible to find, or am I looking for the Holy Grail? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------
get a leica

e6filmuser

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:34 pm

I agree with the Canon A1 but make sure you either cover the viewfinder with your eye, or close the blind, to prevent exposure metering being effected.

aidan21

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:06 am

I agree with you.....
Beach Camera

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Advice on a new (old) camera