Board index Equipment Film Cameras 1969 Yashica GS35

Film Cameras

1969 Yashica GS35

toosnvetts

1969 Yashica GS35

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:34 pm

I just purchased this film camera on ebay. I bought one new while I was in the Navy years ago so this is just a nostalgia thing. Haven't shot any film in years. The camera is supposedly working well and has new light seals. Any advise from you experienced people about getting this camera back in action? Is cheap film alright or should I stick with major brands? Any help is appreciated and I will update my progress after I receive the camera, with pictures of course! :D

wolfeye

Re: 1969 Yashica GS35

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:11 am

Try a couple rolls of Fuji Reala. You'll be putting the digital gear in the closet.

And it's dirt cheap too!

toosnvetts

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:28 am

Thanks, I love a starting point!

By "cheap as dirt", do you mean the film or taking film pictures, processing, etc.?

wolfeye

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:06 am

toosnvetts wrote:Thanks, I love a starting point!

By "cheap as dirt", do you mean the film or taking film pictures, processing, etc.?

The film itself. For 35mm it's like, $3 a 36-exposure roll, and for120 it's nearly the same. Film's bugaboo is the processing cost. I take mine to a photo lab and pay $9 a roll for processing, because I love what they do. Great work. You can get a roll processed for far less (at places like Walmart) but for your first couple rolls, take them to a good lab (or mail them) and pay the higher price. Then go to Walmart for the next couple rolls. Compare. If the higher priced prints blow you away, and the Walmart prints make you go eh, you'll know how much to budget for each roll.

Reala is great, great stuff.

toosnvetts

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:42 pm

My local camera shop does allmy work for me so that won't be a problem. I can't wait to play around with this camera. Thank your for your help and I will update as soon as I can! :D

quercus

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:56 pm

the cheapest choice I can get in my country is: a 17 meter roll of Ilford HP5 film, a magazine-loading machine, empty magazines and the liquids to develop the negs. Once developed the negs you can scan them. It's cheaper than buying 36 exposure 35mm rolls and send them to the shop to be developed and you can learn on development and blacknwhite tricks :-)
for color, I don't know!

toosnvetts

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks, Quercas. I think I'd better start with baby steps and leave developing to the pros, for now! This rangefinder camera will probably lose some of it's magic when I yearn for different lenses. It only comes with a 45mm lens and adapters must be used for a couple of other lenses so that will probably not be happening. I am not a professional photographer just a hobbyist having fun. :)

wolfeye

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:14 pm

toosnvetts wrote:Thanks, Quercas. I think I'd better start with baby steps and leave developing to the pros, for now! This rangefinder camera will probably lose some of it's magic when I yearn for different lenses. It only comes with a 45mm lens and adapters must be used for a couple of other lenses so that will probably not be happening. I am not a professional photographer just a hobbyist having fun. :)

If you want to get in touch with a bunch of guys having fun with film, go to www.apug.org and you can learn as much as you'd like to from old film photography pros. There is a wide range of film available today and it's the best film the world has ever seen.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras 1969 Yashica GS35