Board index Equipment Film Cameras Kodak's new Ektar film

Film Cameras

Kodak's new Ektar film

wolfeye

Kodak's new Ektar film

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:44 am

For those of you who enjoy film, Kodak just announced a new ASA 100 color print film that's supposed to be the finest-grained, most vivid film ever made. It's scheduled to be in stores later this month. Can't wait to try it! Will Fuji's Reala finally have competition?

r_karcz

Re: Kodak's new Ektar film

Post Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:21 pm

Do Kodak, Fuji take exactly the same emulsion for the negative for the photografic and for cinema cameras?

you see what I meen?

lxg

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 am

Has anyone found it in the stores? Has anyone used it yet?

lxg

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:25 pm

Found some at the local camera shop. Shot a roll and had it developed and scanned (no prints) at the local one hour place. Colors are very good and I don’t see any grain. The store scans are a bit over sharpened. I will try and make my own scans sometime this week. Based on the first roll I like this film.

More at: http://www.pbase.com/lxg/new_ektar
Last edited by lxg on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

wolfeye

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:53 am

[quote="lxg"]Found some at the local camera shop. Shot a roll and had it developed and scanned (no prints) at the local one hour place. Colors are very good and I don’t see any grain. The store scans are a bit over sharpened. I will try and make my own scans sometime this week. Based on the first roll I like this film.

Wow. That image is incredible on a number of levels. I have a pair of rolls coming from B&H this week, can hardly wait to try them out.

pentax67

Post Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:09 am

I've been shooting Ektar 100 for about 6 months in 120 format. I've tried long exposure star trails, and it shows promise with good reciprocity.

Shots over water will definitely cause a blue cast to the scene. A KR 1.5 filter will help with this. It will also smooth the red's especially, making it very good for skin tones. I like to shoot this film with an ISO of 64 for day scenes. I find it boosts the contrast. Process normally. I will switch the ISO to 100 during low light and night scenes with my film camera.

Scanning Ektar - if your scanner has a Film Selection to pick from when Negatives are selected - and Ektar is not listed, or the old Ektar 25 is listed - Kodak suggests that you use the Portra 160VC or Portra 160NC. The VC will cause a more vivid output - and depending upon your taste - required very little or no post processing. I find the Portra 160NC 6x6 selection to my liking - allowing me some room in processing with CS2. I try to match up the end result with the film on a light table.

If I'm unsure and just want a good scan result - I use the VC 6x6, and pull back on the blue and green a tad in Curves.

I like the film, as far as a negative film goes. But frankly - Velvia still has my heart. I'm still pissed at Kodak pulling E200 in MF. The LAST great astro film is gone. No other film had the reciprocity, the red response for nebulae, than E200. I'm talking 2 hour exposures. Try a sunset with E200, and Ektar won't even touch it.

Igor

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Kodak's new Ektar film