Board index Equipment Film Cameras Film still lives, 2009!

Film Cameras

Film still lives, 2009!

wolfeye

Film still lives, 2009!

Post Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:46 pm

For those of you who enjoy or are planning to enjoy film shooting this year, happy new year! Film is down, no doubt about it, but NOT out. Kodak is still inovating and making new film, it's just doing it slower pace than in the past. Fuji too has released some great new film products.

For those of you who want to try film again, or for the first time, do this:

Buy a 35mm roll of Fuji Reala

Use a manual-focus camera with a 50mm lens, such as the Canon AE-1 Program or Minolta X-700. All you need to do is focus and shoot.

Have the roll developed by a good lab, not a quickie drugstore, and have them also do a CD for ya.

Share your results on pbase or flickr or smugmug or whatever. Show off your beauties!

Total cost is less than a hundred US dollars, and maybe, just maybe, you'll like it. Reala is great stuff.

This combination is a great starter setup. If you're not aware of what film can do, this will let you know. And from there, there's a whole new world to explore of films, papers, alternative processes, and film sizes.

shawnkraus

Re: Film still lives, 2009!

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:44 am

Wonderful to see optimism for film. Many forget without it we would not have the cameras we use today.

markland

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:06 am

I've just picked up some of the new Kodak Ektar 100, can't wait to see if the results are as clean as velvia with print film dynamic range! Digital is fantastic, but film still wins on several fronts for me.

-Mark
Born again, digitally.

kshapero

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:20 pm

shawnkraus wrote:Wonderful to see optimism for film. Many forget without it we would not have the cameras we use today.

I am shooting 80% film over digital.

captain_superlekker

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Film will live FOREVER!

Digital is convenient and fast, film is dead classy.
Film really shows how good you are - anything with a good eye can shoot digital on the 'Auto' function.

I am glad to see it is still produced and readily available, and for beginners, film can be a cheap way into photogrpahy on some great cameras which are available cheaply. You compose, frame, expose, not autobracket and then delete the fails. Film shooting requires knowledge and thinking.

pentax67

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:43 pm

markland wrote:I've just picked up some of the new Kodak Ektar 100, can't wait to see if the results are as clean as velvia with print film dynamic range! Digital is fantastic, but film still wins on several fronts for me.

-Mark

Mark - I have shot allot of Ektar in 120 format as well as my friends. Consensus is - shoot it as ISO 64 but process normally as 100. The results are added contrast and better colour balance. My friend scanned a cropped section showing his dogs head at 2400 - it was grainless. UV or KR 1.5 filter a plus.

prinothcat

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:29 am

there is no substitute for real Black and white film. As long as I can get APX and Delta I'm a happy camper. Too bad I can only make about one trip a month to my favorite lab...... Note to self it's time.

madlights

Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:47 am

I just got my first four rolls developed (only negatives - then scanned) in nearly 10 years. Most were just finishing off rolls in my old film 35's and didn't expect them to turn out at all. Well some (most) of them needed color correction in Photoshop, but was totally amazed by the color. There's just a certain depth, even after my 10+ year old film, my noisy scanner with it's inconvenient negative adapter...digitized etc. color correcting the color shifts of aged film, but it looks different. I like it a lot. I forgot how much. Won't give up digital, since it's cheaper now that I have cameras etc., but going to be shooting more film that's for sure. Funny was never one to jump on a bandwagon, but did with digital...now realize it's just another wagon. Have these dreams of a medium format, I've even looked at a site where you can build your own large format... am I getting hooked again??? :wink:

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Film still lives, 2009!