Board index Equipment Film Cameras EOS-3??

Film Cameras

EOS-3??

chaosphotography

EOS-3??

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:37 pm

Canon EOS-3 any feedback? Any one use this camera? I need a good film camera. I want to stick with canon. Thank you

funwithlight

Re: EOS-3??

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:22 am

Well...it's built like a tank and heavy as one (with the motor drive) and it's got quite the technology packed into it (eye focus, 45 focus sensors, depth of field preview button...some other fancy stuff which i dont use :P ) and weather sealed.

When I bought this thing, I had no idea it was way more camera than I could possibly use...but I'm stuck with it now and I don't regret the purchase at all. I like it a lot, but I really don't need half the bells and whistles they included in it. Still, pretty cool.

chaosphotography

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:14 am

Very cool! Thank you. I am going back to the world of film from digital and I decided on this camera. Just ordered it! Thank you!

funwithlight

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:08 am

Take your time and have fun with it and try to find out as much about it as you can. There's a link to the manual here, but you most likely already have it :) : http://www3.canon.de/images/pro/fot/slr ... ng_toc.pdf

Mine really loves to eat velvia/sensia slide film and fujipro 160S :P

chaosphotography

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:43 am

Wow thank you, I haven't received it yet so this link will be my soul food for now to keep me happy! lol What film speeds and brand are you the happiest with? Thank you!

funwithlight

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:00 am

no problem...me, I like Velvia 100 and 50 if I can get my hands on it, and FujiPro 160S (does skin tones really well and really balanced colors). Try shooting slide film and see how you like it. I recommend Velvia or Sensia and try some black and white too.

How much did you get yours for? I got mine back in 2006 and paid 400.00 for it (came with a motordrive as well and really good condition :P )

Something you might not like so much is that this camera doesn't record exif data...soooooooooo, you'll do well by bringing along a notepad and pencil and recording the shutterspeeds and apertures to learn from your shots...or at the least, know what settings you used to take the shots for reference...just like they did in the 70s and 80s and 90s

If you're getting into film again, may I suggest you also pick up a small rangefinder? I got my hands on an Olympus XA 35 mm camera. It's got an amazingly fast lens for a little camera (f2.8 on a 42 mm lens with 6 elements in 5 groups). The reason for this is that SLRs like the EOS-3 are kinda too big and cumbersome for certain situations. Just stuff it in your pockets and there you go :) never miss another shot....anyway, just a suggestion.

chaosphotography

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:23 am

Thank you for the major advice!! I have been away from film for about 5-7 yrs so I have no clue now! But i really cant wait to start up again! I purchased mine used for 200 and its immaculate! Or so the pictures look! haha Great idea about the note pad and pen because thats one of my biggest issues on what i want to learn to the fullest so thank you! I will start seeing what I can find for the small rangefinder, hence another great Idea! Cheers!

chaosphotography

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Just wanted to update, I did receive it and I am more then happy! As usual canon has pleased me again. I will post gallery soon!

bclaypole

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:15 am

I had a EOS-3 right before switching to a 1D mkII N. Regrets - only that I sold it! The eye focus is awesome and once calibrated to your eye (with glasses, contacts, naked (eye)) works so well you'll wonder how you did without it (the more times you calibrate it the better it gets). I MISS IT GREATLY!! They say the EOS 1 Series has the fastest focusing speed of the whole line up. Rubbish! My eye can pick a focus point in the viewfinder a lot faster than my fingers can select it.

digitsy

Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:12 pm

My friend has Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black)
PROS
-Currently the best bang for buck you're going to find .
-Canon didn't scale back very much from the XSI
-Some report that the lower MP (10 vs XSI's 12) gives better image quality because of the sensor.
-Excellent image quality even with the supplied kit lens.
-Easy to use
-Canon compatibility
CONS
-Not crazy about the build materials
-Has crop sensor like all of the rebels.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras EOS-3??