Board index Equipment Film Cameras Storage for old photos (1950s-1980s)???

Film Cameras

Storage for old photos (1950s-1980s)???

gibson2112

Storage for old photos (1950s-1980s)???

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:48 am

Okay, so this isn't exactly a question about film cameras. It's about the photos you have taken with them. :)

I have a large box of color and b&w photos dating from the 1950s to the 1980s. Most of the photos measure 3 1/2 inch x 3 1/2 inch. A few from the 1980s measure 3 1/2 inch x 4 1/2 inch. They are mostly printed on Kodak paper and were developed at drug stores or K-mart. I've been looking for a way to store and preserve these photos. I currently keep them in a box. They are family photos so I don't need any high-end storage and display systems. I'm looking for 'slip-in' albums or boxes made for these size photos. I've searched the web and stores that carry photo supplies, but I can't find anything. The storage options available are for the recent standard of 4x6 inch.

Any stores or web retailers you know of that may carry items to store photos of this size? Not to be too picky, but I'm also trying to stay away from books that require corner mounts and the self-stick books (since they loose their stick after a few years and the pictures all fall out).

Thanks for any help.

pdbolton

Re: Storage for old photos (1950s-1980s)???

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:53 am

What you need is a "dry box". It's a sealable, plastic box with a Hygrometer on it to measure the humidity level. I'd also get a small bag of dessicant. You want to keep things dry, too much moisture and the pictures will stick together, too dry and they might become brittle. If you have any negatives and slides, I'd keep them in there also.
Try this link to Adorama Cameras: http://www.adorama.com/ZZVPS.html?searchinfo=dry+boxes
I use one for my negatives and slides as well as one for my cameras and lenses. I don't know about albums. I guess you could put them in some type of album and store them in the dry box. The gist of the matter is preserving family history in photos.
The trouble with being retired...you never get a day off.

captain_superlekker

Re: Storage for old photos (1950s-1980s)???

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:00 pm

I'd just go for a decent acid-free paper album with paper in-between sheets and buy some photo glue.
Don't get slip-in albums as the plastic contains chemicals which can deteriorate the print.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Storage for old photos (1950s-1980s)???