Board index Equipment Film Cameras Canon EOS 5/A2 Command Dial fix

Film Cameras

Canon EOS 5/A2 Command Dial fix

jim_panzee

Canon EOS 5/A2 Command Dial fix

Post Wed May 19, 2004 7:17 am

Is anybody contemplating a Command Dial repair on their Canon EOS 5, I let a friend of mine who is a Camera Tech, (or supposed to be), have a look at mine after the thing went south. To cut a long storey short, it came back worse than it went in, the dial was very stiff and would not select all the programs, so I took it apart and did it myself.
In my opinion the main problem with the dial, is not the plastic studs that fix the metal detent wheel to the dial although they will break soon after, it is the spring and ball bearing (that gives you the click as you turn the dial) that is the main problem, the channel that this runs in soon wears out and the spring gets damaged, as I saw when I started the fix, the guy had put the origional mangled spring back in.
After trying for three hours to get a new spring in, the problem was still there, so I decided to discard the spring and ball altogether, I did replace the plastic studs with small screws so they would not shear in the future, The Dial now works fine and smooth albeit with no click but you can see in the window which program you are working on, and it still locks in the “Lâ€

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Canon EOS 5/A2 Command Dial fix