Board index Equipment Film Cameras getting a camera

Film Cameras

getting a camera

bobtrips

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:55 pm

Jim, you can argue with me all you like. And if you have a valid point or if I am wrong about something I will gladly acknowledge my mistake.

My position is 'use what works best'. There are a couple of situations where I would probably use film. A few years ago there were more situations but as digital matures it reduces the number.

I end up arguing the side of digital because people continue to make untrue statements about digital. Lots of people don't keep up with the 'state of the art' and post misleading comments. Occasionally, not often, someone will post a statement about digital which is untrue and I answer that.

Now I look at the last post you've made regarding MF film and digital and realize that you aren't keeping up. Many pros have quit using MF film and switched to digital because the quality is better. Don't believe that? Spend some time on the pro forums and hear it from the horse's mouth.

jim_panzee

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:25 pm

Bobtrips.
I hear what you are saying, however, many media professionals are using digital because of the ease of getting their photographs to the print source in the quickest possible time, not because of the quality of the pictures. There are still many pros who take photographs for magazines and architectural photographers who put quality first, plus many amatures who care about their pics, who are using film because of the quality of the end product regardless of the speed and cost.
I also think this section of the forum should be for aficionados of the film media, not as a "for and against" film v digital discussion.

bobtrips

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:42 pm

Jim - are you saying that film deserves a 'protected' space where the world doesn't intrude? A safe haven for film buffs?

Should we ask Slug to change the name of this forum to "A safe place for film users. A place where no one suggests that digital can do the same job as well or better."?

----

Yes, some/many pros are still shooting film. But lots of pros have switched to digital. And they have switched because of the digital advantages and because they haven't had to sacrifice quality to make the change. In fact digital provides better quality in some circumstances (high ISO shooting, for example).

Again, do some reading and educate yourself.

Previous

Board index Equipment Film Cameras getting a camera