Board index Equipment Film Cameras Inheritance

Film Cameras

Inheritance

dkite

Inheritance

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:16 pm

Hi there,

Just managed to inherit an Olympus OM101 SLR. It’s my first SLR, and looks fairly simple to use.

Just a very quick question. It’s not been used for a few years now, and as a result the lens is filthy with dust, greasy marks etc. I know I shouldn’t touch the lens directly, but it does need a clean. What’s the best way to go about it?

Thanks,
Dominic.

castledude

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:26 pm

Most camera stores will only charge you $20-$30 for a good cleaning. It will be well worth it to have them go in and clean the inside bits that you can damage real easily.

Get a cleaning kit for about $10 (microfibre cloth, brush and blower) and you can do the maintaining from then on.

dkite

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:34 pm

Thank-you Castledude - That sounds fairly reasonable, I was just worried that if I tried it myself I'd end up, well breaking it really!

Thanks again for the advice,
Dominic.

jim_panzee

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:38 am

Just one other thing Dominic, be very careful when using a brush, especially when cleaning the inside of the camera, some of the hairs can detach themselves and get caught up around the mirror etc. and are a pig to remove. I know, this happened to me on my EOS5. Also forget the tins of compressed air, OK for the outside but not for inside.
Jim P.

dkite

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:11 pm

Thanks Jim - complete beginner when it comes to cleaning camera's, and taking serious photos for that matter. So all advice is invaluable!

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Inheritance