Board index Equipment Film Cameras Canon EOS 35mm question

Film Cameras

Canon EOS 35mm question

snappingturtle

Canon EOS 35mm question

Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:46 am

Hi,

I am considering purchasing the Canon EOS Elan 7n or the Canon EOS Rebel Ti or k2 as a film reserve in my photographic arsenal.

I have the Canon EOS 10D currently. I understand that the camera magnifies the image 1.6 times the actual focus length making it a nightmare for wide angle shooting. Do any of the film cameras above have a similar problem?

Thanks,

Hugh

framewerkz

Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:13 am

No.
For the arty-farty crap, go here:
http://www.pbase.com/framewerkz

ukexpat

Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:52 pm

framewerkz wrote:No.

Just to expand on that - the reason for the 10D's crop factor is that the CMOS sensor of the 10D is smaller than a 35mm film frame. As the EOS cameras that you mention are 35mm film cameras, there will be no cropping and lenses will work at their "correct" focal length.

snappingturtle

Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:14 am

Thanks guys! Good to hear from you again!

Hugh

zaneyau

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:46 am

Pls dont consider the 1.6x crop as a problem, it's actually a relatively inexpensive way to get more telephoto. It's also the nature of digital cameras.

Get the 7E, it's a great camera to go with your 10D

ukexpat

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:39 pm

zaneyau wrote:Pls dont consider the 1.6x crop as a problem, it's actually a relatively inexpensive way to get more telephoto. It's also the nature of digital cameras.

Get the 7E, it's a great camera to go with your 10D

It's not quite that easy. First it's not "the nature of digital cameras" -- it is just a factor of the smaller sensor size that most DSLRs use. There are DSLRs (albeit expensive ones) with 35mm frame sized sensors that consequently have no crop factor.

While the crop factor is great at the telephoto end, assuming that you can, depending on the conditions, either hand hold steadily enough or shoot at a fast enough shutter speed, at the wide end, it can be a pain in the neck. In 35mm film land, a 28mm is a fairly standard wide angle lens, but with a 1.6 crop factor you need a lens around 17mm to get the same field of view -- and they are more expensive. If you want to get fisheye effects with a 1.6 crop -- say 12mm equivalent, you are looking at a 7.5mm lens....

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Canon EOS 35mm question