Board index Equipment Film Cameras EOS 30 doesnt work

Film Cameras

EOS 30 doesnt work

zaneyau

EOS 30 doesnt work

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:48 am

Guys

My EOS 30 (Elan 7E) stops working for me due to some electronics failure :cry:

It will cost me about half the price of a new body to fix it.

Pls help me decide:

1. fix it;
2. buy a new EOS 30;
3. buy a cheaper body like the Ti or T2 - as I shoot mainly digital nowadays but still keep shooting slides.
4. buy a more expensive body - EOS 3 - intending to keep it in the long run, but means more outlay

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards
Zane

jim_panzee

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:52 am

Hmm. It mostly depends on how many and which lenses you have for the EOS system, if you have just one or maybe two and these are the consumer type ( eg. 28-80 zoom), then I would say sell (if you can) the lenses and ditch the camera, and buy yourself a good second hand mechanical type camera for your slide shooting, ones that come to mind are Olympus OM 1 or 2, Pentax K 1000, or if your pockets are deep enough a Nikon F2, combine any of these with a good 50mm or 80mm lens of the same type as the camera, and you will have something that will take superb photographs and last for years with no trouble. However if you have more Canon lenses and they are of a better quality (USM or L type), then I would go for another EOS camera, a 3 or a 5 if the 5 is in good condition (check the command dial if its getting stiff forget it), I shoot with a 5 and just one 50mm f1.4 USM lens, and find it superb. On the other hand if you want a complete change, check out (if you can find one) a Rollie 35se, this miniture marvel with its superb Lietz Sonnar f2.8 lens will take some of the best pictures you have ever seen.
Good luck with whatever you do. :)

ed1994

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:52 am

Remember though the EOS 5 (A2e in the US) is relatively old technology - around late 1992/early 1993 - whereas the EOS 3 - 1999 - has faster AF, arguably better metering (evaluative anyhow) and a tougher body. I would agree though the "5" is an excellent camera, especially coupled with the VG-10 grip.

If price is an issue I'd get a "5" or a used "1" or "1n", the "1n" is a somewhat improved "1" and is probably a better buy, although both are excellent and more durable than the "5".

You could of course go the Elan route as a 50e (1995?) sells for around $200 used.

The previous posters advice is good however. If it were me I'd get a used "1n" (in fact I own and shoot with a 1n RS).

PS. I agree the Rollei 35SE is an excellent camera for transparencies!

jim_panzee

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:20 pm

Ed. You are right the 1 or 1n is a very good camera no question, but looking at the secondhand prices for one in good condition (if its cheap don't entertain it), they are considerably more than the 5 or 3, it depends how much Zane is prepared to pay for a replacement. The only fault with the 5 was the command dial, mine went south some time ago and I repaired it myself, making a few mods to the dial inside so nothing will happen again, and yes I do have the VG-10 hand grip which is essential with this camera. I personally would not go for any of the cheaper EOS models no matter how old or young they were, they were built to a price for consumer use, and with this in mind they were not built to last. Mine is a 1993 vintage and still going stong.

ed1994

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:20 pm

<b>Jim</b>
Agreed. I like the "5" having graduated from the EOS 600 to a "5" and then a "1n RS"
The EOS 600 (aka 630) is also a great buy if you get a good condition one (you should know what to check for however). Should cost no more than $100 or so. Slow AF yes... but a class camera - I'd take one over any Elan anyday :)
Ed

jim_panzee

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:23 pm

OK Zane if you are still with us tell us what you have done if anything. Image

Board index Equipment Film Cameras EOS 30 doesnt work