Board index Equipment Film Cameras Contax T

Film Cameras

Contax T

filipdabrowski

Contax T

Post Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:58 am

I'm looking to buy a small take anywhere film camera and I've always had the feeling that the Contax T is the perfect choice. Is there anyone out there who has experience using this camera? If so, I'd love for some feedback...both positive and negative.

Also, if you could shed some light on other choices as opposed to the Contax, I would be greatful. Mostly going to use it for street photography, so I need something with a wide angle (max 50mm). Most important, though, is that the camera should be small, lightweight and be able to go anywhere I go.

Thanks!

jim_panzee

Post Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:21 am

The Contax T is undoutably a fine Camera, but at a price.
Another one to consider would be the Rollei 35 S. I used one of these for years, but sadly parted with it last year (like a fool). Its built very solid (no plastic) and with its superb Zeiss Sonnar 2.8/40mm lens takes brilliant photographs, very easy to carry around use etc. OK no zoom, no inbuilt flash, (outboard hot shoe), just a very fine camera.
Get a 35 S or 35 SE in good condition and take some fine pic's.

See here for more info.

http://www.rolleiclub.com/rollei/35/rol ... ameras.htm

JimP.
JimP.

"So little time, so much to do, so many places to visit".

filipdabrowski

Post Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:08 am

Thanks Jim!

Yeah, the Contax T is a bit expensive.

I will have to look at the Rollei as well. Sounds like something that I'm looking for. I don't mind that it's without flash, etc. as it will be used for available light photography. The fast Zeiss lens is an important factor. Thanks again!

ssahmed

Re: Contax T

Post Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:48 pm

filipdabrowski wrote:I'm looking to buy a small take anywhere film camera and I've always had the feeling that the Contax T is the perfect choice. Is there anyone out there who has experience using this camera? If so, I'd love for some feedback...both positive and negative.

Also, if you could shed some light on other choices as opposed to the Contax, I would be greatful. Mostly going to use it for street photography, so I need something with a wide angle (max 50mm). Most important, though, is that the camera should be small, lightweight and be able to go anywhere I go.

Thanks!

I can't comment on the Contax T since I don't know much about it. But I will recommend the Olympus Stylus Epic (fixed 35mm f/2.8 lens) as a cheap (albeit very simple) alternative. The Stylus Epic has a very fast (f/2.8) lens and is capable of producing fairly sharp and contrasty images. The only downside is that you have no exposure controls - it operates in Program-Auto exposure mode only. It is biased towards producing blur-free captures so it tends to open the aperture quite a bit, but if you use ISO400 film that should make it stop down the aperture somewhat.

Anyways, I think that the Olympus Stylus Epic is a really great bang for buck camera and it's also very small and pocketable.

I have a a few recent captures taken with this camera in my inbox - take a look to see what this camera is capable of.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

zuiko40

Post Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:17 pm

If you haven't looked already, this http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=3840 thread below has my comments, a lens test, and comments by some others about the T3.

filipdabrowski

Post Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:48 am

Thanks for the input.

The Olympus is just a bit too point & shooty for me to consider. I would like to have a bit more control over how my images turn out.

The T3 on the other hand would be a nice alternative, somewhere between point & shoot and full manual. I had a look at your portfolio and the images look nice.

I guess right now, if I can't find a cheap Contax T, I'll go for the T3 or the Rollei mentioned above. Both seem to be good cameras that one can take with anywhere.

pete_eye

contax t or rollei 35 etc

Post Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:57 pm

i am a little late in this discussion, but maybe anyone is still interested in another experience.

i would really prefer the contax t, if you get one.
this little camera is superb.
i am a photographer and i like to use small cameras for whatever subjects. i own a contax t3 and and contax t and some months ago i sold my contax t2.
in addition i have a rollei 35 s.
so if i compare these cameras, the contax t or t3 are definitely the winners. for whatever reason the optical quality of the t is better than of the t3. you should think that contax would improve their lenses during the years. but the contax t lens is definitely sharper. you can compare it with the lens of any slr or high end rangefinder camera.
vignetting is very low or not visible, depending on aperture of course.
and it has no distortion as well.
i always thought, the lens of the t2 is the same, but at least my copy was not that brilliant (a good over-average camera anyway).
the t3 is a fantastic pretty fast point and shoot camera, with a superb lens, the difference to contax t is as i mentioned the lesser sharpness but therefore it is a bit more contrasty.
the rollei 35 s is a great piece of camera design and construction, but it's not that easy to handle and it has no rangefinder like the contax t.

that's what i can tell you in a brief form about these objects of desire. :D

filipdabrowski

Post Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:53 am

I actually ended up getting the Contax T2, but after shooting a few rolls of B&W as well as color slides I wasn't too impressed by the camera. The lens wasn't as sharp as I had seen from others who were shooting with the same camera and the handling wasn't all that great. Thankfully the shop had a 7 day return policy, the the T2 went back. Now I've had an eye out for the T3 which seems to be a tad better in the handling department than the T2. All I will have to do is test the lens out and see how it performs.

I'm also seriously considering the Leica M3 which I find to be one amazing camera. It's a tad cheaper than other M series cameras, but the timeless design keeps me awake at night. With a nice wide angle lens or a simple 50mm it could also work as a nice walk-around, take anywhere camera...but it might be a tad big, though. Plus will have to get used to using an external light meter or finally learning how to guess exposure (mostly going to be shooting B&W).

Anyway, thanks for your input and I will have a look at the T3 again and see how I like it. If not than I will have to be on the lookout for a nice used M3 and a lens or two.
"If your pictures aren`t good enough, you aren't close enough." (Robert Capa)

jim_panzee

Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:16 am

Robert

The M3 sits nicely between the 111f and the M5, I own a 111f which I like very much, it started life as a 1c but was converted to a 111f ST by the Leica factory sometime in the fifties you can view it here.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/leitz/ic

You must bear in mind though that although small enough to put into your pocket they are quite heavy, and lens prices are through the roof.
If you buy one make sure it has had a CLR recently and everything is in order, repairs can be expensive.
Don't worry about not having a light meter, use the "Sunny Sixteen" formula like I do, it works just as well in most situations.

JimP.
JimP.

filipdabrowski

Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:48 pm

Thanks, Jim, but my name is Filip and not Robert as in Robert Capa, the great war photographer...I'm sure you know who he is. :D

Anyway, thanks so much for your information. I was looking through some used camera shops yesterday and found one Leica M3 that looks good outside...now I will have to get a second opinion as to what lies beneath the shell (the dealer seems to swear that all is tip top both on the inside and outside...we'll see about that).

As for lenses: there is this guy on PhotoSIG shooting with an M3 and using an old Nikkor lens (the Nikkor 85mm f/2 to be exact). I've not e-mailed him yet so I don't know how he is able to mount the glass on his Leica. Will have to do some more research on this aspect as well, since I know how expensive Leica glass can be.

Here's a link to one of the shots with the Leica M3 and Nikkor lens (I guess you must be a PhotoSIG member to view the image full size...and it's a damn good one too):

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1430341&forward=browse

As for the light meter...guess the "sunny sixteen" is the way to go. Thanks again for your wonderful imput.

jim_panzee

Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:58 am

Sorry filip I wasn't looking hard enough. There are many different lenses that can be used with various Leica models both screw mount and others, some old Canon range finder lenses come to mind that are very good. There are also adaptors for the screw mounts but they are rare and expensive.
Have a look at this site, its very informative on all things clasic including Leica etc, scroll down the page to the leica bit.

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

JimP.
JimP.

filipdabrowski

Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:43 am

Thanks Jim. Will have a look at the site you've mentioned.

ssahmed

Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:09 pm

Filip,

You could also consider the Leica Minilux and Leica CM (fixed focal length) P&S film cams. Both share the same lens (Summarit 40mm f/2.4), although the CM has an improved coating on it. And they are both reasonably compact, although not as compact as the Contax T3.

The Minilux can be found used (keh.com) but the CM you'll probably have to buy brand new.

Cheers,

filipdabrowski

Post Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:18 pm

Thanks...will look into these Leica P&S cameras as well.

llung

Post Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:52 pm

I would suggest an Olympus 35RC, which is one of the smallest rangefinders out there. It has great glass and shutter priority or unmetered manual. Best of all, you can pick up one for really cheap. I found mine on ebay for $60. It's the camera I always have with me, and it's a helluva lot easier to use than a rollei.

http://www.cameraquest.com/olyrc.htm

added a link.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Contax T