Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software The Future of Pbase

Photo Editing Software

The Future of Pbase

egc128

The Future of Pbase

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Why hasn't Pbase changed over the years. The current owners are doing nothing to update Pbase. Pbase is losing members every year. Pbase is need of a redesign. They need to develop a plugin for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 & 5. The future looks bad for Pbase. They used to be the most popular, not anymore. Flickr, 500px, Google+ are now so far ahead.

sing2golf

Re: The Future of Pbase

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:34 pm

I will stick with Pbase which I think is pretty good. As I use Photoshop CS6 I am not interested in a Lightroom plug in and I have tried Flickr etc which I don't rate.

toondesmit

Post Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:15 am

I like it just the way it is!
Tried and did not like competitors.

parpho

Post Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:23 am

If it ain't broke.....

dct

Post Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:02 pm

The only thing I would like to see is a better navigation/access for mobile devices.
Apart from this I don't need (want) any enhancements on the look and feel side. That's why I'm still here.

Of course, a simple ftp or other folder oriented protocol would be helpful moving things around. But I can live with the current upload interface.

rjkanephoto

Post Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:37 am

I'll be leaving PBase as soon as my current credits are used up, change could be good I might be tempted to stay.

iblue

Post Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:41 am

I dare you to leave! hhh, many of us have invested hugely in our galleries (time & effort to get it right, all the links posted else where etc.) so the switch barrier is huge, especially for the serious photographer. PBase knows that. Me personally: I like PBase a lot, it is clean simple can be tweaked quite substantially, if you dive into the code a bit. You can even 'steal' creativity intelligently from others. Haven't seen these wonderful traits in other photo sites. What you do see with alternatives is the flashy templates for the novice user, without putting any effort in it. PBase needs some investment to make it right. The only thing that I am missing is commercial plugin to sell photo's or items that are in them. That would be awesome.

image_expo

Post Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:04 pm

:) Pbase is simple, and I think many users like this point, something I don't like when I go to visit Flickr or any other images/galleries hosting company : scripts very heavy for web browsers, necessity to open account with smartphone and so on . . . and many times advertisements or links to advertisers . . . Pbase is not free, but not too expensive, that's the condition to remain free of ads. . .
Pbase is light that is what I like, don't need too many features, just simple use and fast loading for pictures . . . 1Go was a bit short, but 3Go is better, may be more in the future ..
may be the design of website is not so sexy, but it works ! :)

kcoopman

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:29 pm

Interesting story about flickr is I joined the site some time last year and I enjoyed seeing the casual photos posted by just folks who choose to share on line. I even was able to find a Triathlon that was held in my city that someone took photos and posted them. Sadly, one morning, mind you, before I could do anything other than view a few different posting, my account was deleted and I was banned, I guess for life. I made a exhaustive attempt to learn and possibly explain that they have me mistaken for someone else as I have not done anything, posted anything or subscribed; I only had the account for less than a month and had not decided if I wanted to purchase a membership.....Im glad I waited.

I followed up on the ban with several emails and each time I was met with profoundly rude, non helpful and misleading customer service. They explained they cannot disclose the specific reason for the ban but that I would not, EVER be allowed to use their site. I explained, but I never had the opportunity to "use their site" yet. Apparently, that doesn't matter as my rebuttal was ignored and I have not heard anything since.

On a lighter note, I wasn't all that impressed with the site anyway but its just the idea that I was accused of doing something I must have done in my sleep because of the life of me I can't figure out what I did. I continue to, at every chance, to tell me story and stear folks away from the site and being a photographer I come in contact with a lot of individuals and most have either closed their account with them or chose a competitor. I did learn that Flickr and Smug Mug, are owned by the same company so being the criminal I am, by their deranged standards, Im banned from both. :D :)

kombizz

Post Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:31 am

kcoopman wrote:Interesting story about flickr is I joined the site some time last year and I enjoyed seeing the casual photos posted by just folks who choose to share on line. I even was able to find a Triathlon that was held in my city that someone took photos and posted them. Sadly, one morning, mind you, before I could do anything other than view a few different posting, my account was deleted and I was banned, I guess for life. I made a exhaustive attempt to learn and possibly explain that they have me mistaken for someone else as I have not done anything, posted anything or subscribed; I only had the account for less than a month and had not decided if I wanted to purchase a membership.....Im glad I waited.

I followed up on the ban with several emails and each time I was met with profoundly rude, non helpful and misleading customer service. They explained they cannot disclose the specific reason for the ban but that I would not, EVER be allowed to use their site. I explained, but I never had the opportunity to "use their site" yet. Apparently, that doesn't matter as my rebuttal was ignored and I have not heard anything since.

On a lighter note, I wasn't all that impressed with the site anyway but its just the idea that I was accused of doing something I must have done in my sleep because of the life of me I can't figure out what I did. I continue to, at every chance, to tell me story and stear folks away from the site and being a photographer I come in contact with a lot of individuals and most have either closed their account with them or chose a competitor. I did learn that Flickr and Smug Mug, are owned by the same company so being the criminal I am, by their deranged standards, Im banned from both. :D :)

Flickr not only stole my money (£111), but also killed my passion for photography
I have been a member of Flickr for over 19 years (since 2004). During that period I uploaded up to 48K safe images (i.e identified by Flickr as “acceptable to a global, public audience for what would be appropriate for public viewing in any setting”) into different categories (albums). Throughout this time I had so many followers. However, on 12 June 2023 the Flickr support people, (Jenny, and Olivia) took a decision to delete my entire account of images without giving me any specific reasons for their decision or prior warning. I sent emails to the help desk to find out what violations in my safe images had been discovered. Both wrote me that “They are not at liberty to discuss the specifics of accounts closed for violations”, which makes it impossible for me to understand the cause of this deletion and what warranted the closing down of my account.
To make matters worse, I had paid £111.84, on 18th May 2023, for a further 2 years subscription to Flickr. In the second email from the help desk, Olivia wrote to me that “Per our Terms of Use that you read and agreed to, Flickr does not provide refunds or partial refunds for unused subscription time should you close your account prematurely, or should your actions cause Flickr to terminate your account.”; but as far as I remember Flickr took £111.84 from my bank account automatically without any reminder about that clause agreement. Also I should mention I do not recall ever being provided with that term of non payment clause.
I tried to contact the Don MacAskill, the CEO of Flickr and SmugMug in order to ask him why Flickr help desk had deleted my entire 48K images. I wrote him via Twitter, Instagram, and Linkedin. Unfortunately I did not receive any answers from him or anybody else. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience with this website?
I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history.
k o m b i z z

naturephotography

Post Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:47 pm

Wow, that flicker episode sounds bad. Yes, PBASE has not changed in years but it still works. The only thing I would like to see is the website to be optimized for viewing on hand- held devices. On a phone for example it is just the same as a desk top. This undoubtedly, affects the Google rankings of PBASE and in turn the exposure our images get.

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software The Future of Pbase