Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3-5-5.6G ED VR DX Experience

Digital Cameras

Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3-5-5.6G ED VR DX Experience

eldarrio

Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3-5-5.6G ED VR DX Experience

Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:59 pm

Could anybody share an experience of using this lens on Nikon D300 body ? Sharpness, accuracy of AF and its speed, colour rendition and contrast etc. any information would be greatly appreciated. I read wonderful reviews about this lens , but after seeing shots on Pbase made with it, started thinking about another alternative which would have better sharpness, as the sharpness of the shots I saw wasn't satisfactory at all. There are not too many lenses, if any, for Nikon in this range which would have image stabilizer, and it is critical thing for the type of photography I am in,

clintbuhler

Re: Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3-5-5.6G ED VR DX Experience

Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:02 pm

Sure, it's a great lens. It's the next best thing to the 17-55 f/2.8 AF-S lens for less than half the price with added VR. 16mm on the wide end is very nice and 85mm on the long end is a good range. It's very sharp and quite a bit more so than the 18-200mm lens Nikon has. AF speed is fine although it's not a rocket like the 2.8 lenses are, but who care's? It's fast enough. AF was right on in my case. You can easily take pictures of pro technical quality with this lens. Ultimately I sold mine because the full frame cameras were comming out. I also have the 18-55 VR lens and while pretty good, the 16-85 is a much more versatile lens. The reason you might see shots made with this lens that aren't sharp are from user error. Most of the customers of a lens like this are point and shooter cunsumers so the overall level of photo quality you see here will reflect that some. A pro with this lens can certainly have amazing work. It was extremely sharp when I was using it and the VR is phenominal. Use it right and it'll be awesome. Good luck!

geoff777

Post Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:34 am

I bought the Nikon 16 - 85VR to replace a Sigma 17 - 70 (which was pretty good itself)
The extra wide 16 is handy - but I would suggest caution if tilted at wide angle as it does bend things a bit
The 85 is also a usefull bit more reach than the previous 70.
As for sharpness and focus accuracy - I have no complaints what so ever - it is great
Also - the manual focus on it is nice and precise.
So far I have been using it with a D80 and I am more than satisfied.

bug322

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:38 am

I am glad i bought the 17-55 f2,8 as i knew i would stay DX And with my new D7100 it really shines in the meanwhile the price of this pro build lens only gone higher.
I have it since 2009 on my D50. Buy nikkor because even when u have to sell them they pretty worthy lenses.
But for all reliable and sharp and works at 2,8 when needed.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Nikkor AF-S 16-85mm f/3-5-5.6G ED VR DX Experience