Board index Other Travel Niagara Falls, NY w/ American Falls

Travel

Niagara Falls, NY w/ American Falls

cincyimages

Niagara Falls, NY w/ American Falls

Post Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:19 pm

I am not going to lie. My pictures don't reflect the full perspective of Niagara Falls, NY and are more of a sugar coat of the American side. I wanted to focus on the beauty of the falls and not the grit.

In reality I was disappointed with the American side of the falls and amazed at how built up and Disneyesque the Canadian side of the falls was. We stayed on the Canadian side of the falls right in the heart of Clifton Hill which is like a mix between a Disney Main Street on steroids and a walkable International Drive in Orlando. Since this was a vacation and I went with my family it worked out nice and my daughter loved the Canadian side. I was informed that the American side of the falls had a "Little Italy" so we decided to walk across the Rainbow Bridge and spend one of our days on the US side. Once we crossed through the border we took a taxi to Little Italy and ate at a great little local restaurant called Michael's. The decor was dated but the place worked because it had a great local feel, food was fantastic and the place was packed. There were more people in this restaurant then could be found walking the 20 blocks of Pine Ave where Little Italy sits. After we had lunch we walked back to the border which was a mistake since it was 30 blocks and I ended up tiring the family. I took a few photos on the way back.

Other than a nice park when you cross into the US side, there is little attempt to lure tourists. Much of the area is outdated with surface lots and tacky buildings with a couple of nice historic buildings here and there. On top of that, there was litter everywhere and weeds on many of the common areas where it looked like those areas hadn't seen a mower in a while. If the city can't handle this then I would think the Federal Government would fund some sort of beautification program since this is an International border and a huge tourist destination.

Alas here are my photos of the American side of Niagara Falls.

Niagara Falls, NY's Little Italy

More photos can be found at http://www.cincyimages.com More from my trip are found in the "Cities" section that I haven't gotten a chance to post yet.
http://www.cincyimages.com

Nikon D300
Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8, Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8, Nikkor 18-200mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon SB-800

Board index Other Travel Niagara Falls, NY w/ American Falls