Board index Other Travel Japan

Travel

Japan

dickh

Japan

Post Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:02 am

If anyone is planning to visit Japan, I can help with ideas and specific details of how to get around, especially around Tokyo, since I lived there for many years and I have written about the rail system (Tokyo Subways, pub. 1992).

Take a look at some photos on my site.
http:www.pbase.com/dickh

Dick Harris, Portland, Oregon

stephentan

Weather in Hokkaido

Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:46 pm

Hi Dick! I'm planning to visit Hokkaido on this coming Dec 2004, I heard from friends that weather is very cold probably -20c during Dec 2004. I never been to this place or should kind of weather. As I am stay and born in Singapore which is sunny all year long. I only bring 1 winter coat, long john and few long sleeve shirts for 8 days tours (include Tokyo and Osaka = 2 days) I hope it can keep me warm enough and able me to take come nice picture there as well. I also bring my Nikon D100 and F100 with me to take some pictures. Can you tell me what I need to take note in such kind of weather to keep the cameras function. What to take during this period of the year? Thanks!

moxfactor

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:58 am

hey Stephen, i'm also going to Hokkaido, Dec 4-8. Just a short relax trip, gonna spend 2 days at the Daiichi Takimotokan (hot springs resort) in Noboribetsu (about 1hr train south of Sapporo).

I've been to Sapporo, Otaru, Shin Sapporo each several times before, if you need any help, gimme a shout.

About the weather, i've been checking weather conditions recently (i'm living in Dalian right now, and it's near 0 already at night). Sapporo should be around -5 ot -10 right now. I'd definitely suggest you bring a good wool sweater and something water and windproof as a jacket if you're used to the warm weather in Singapore.

Also, many places in Sapporo will have very strong heaters, so expect to put on and take off your jacket quite often. You can also buy some of those instant heat gel packs to put in your pockets if you decide to stay outside for over 30 minutes, and want to take photos, otherwise, your fingers may be a bit frozen, especially some sharp winds in Otaru. Fur gloves help, but it's a bit hard to move around in them.

remember to buy Shiroi Koibito chocolate when you're in Sapporo and beautiful glassware in Kitaichi Glass Shop in Otaru, and give it to all your friends back in Singapore, they'll all love you to death.

^_^

gargoyle13

Post Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:02 am

Is'nt sapporo some brand of Sake wine? :lol:

gargoyle13

Post Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:06 am

By the way......tell them while you're over there they stink for doing what they did to Fischer.

""Bobby and I committed the same crime. Put sanctions on me also. Arrest me. Put me in the same cell as Bobby Fischer. Give us a chess set" (Boris Spassky in an appeal to GW Bush)

Board index Other Travel Japan