Board index Photography Technical Questions Which Lenses???

Technical Questions

Which Lenses???

Discuss technical aspects of photography
picstar

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:35 pm

I just got a Canon EOS 400d with the 18-55mm Lense.
I don't think that it is enough, because I will go to NYC and washington soon.
I want an all over Lense, with good potential

Thanks, Jan (from Germany)

matonanjin

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:35 pm

lance_h wrote:for landscapes and such, an ultra-wide is a must imo. don't waste your money replacing a focal length you already have. the "kit lens" is not "rubbish" for those on a tight budget. but if you can, buy an ultra-wide, something in the 10-22mm range. this will open a whole new world of possibilities and provide a unique perspective only an ultra-wide can provide.

:wink:

He is absolutely right for landscapes you need a wide angle in that range. I use a Tamron 11-18 mm and love it. Here is one of my galleries and the last half dozen or so were taken with it:
http://www.pbase.com/matonanjin/winterstudy

The lens is listed so you can see which ones. I paid around $400 for it. With that said I wish I would have considered the Tokina 12-24 f/4. It is about the same cost and faster and same f/4 all the way through the range.

Another consideration for what you described is a wide angle to telephoto zoom, what is known as a "walk around lens", which is what you will need.

Tamron has an 18mm to 250mm zoom. This is the largest zoom ratio available in one lens. I have heard rave reviews about it from owners. Should cost about $500 on line.

Have a great trip!

Ron

moffetb

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:18 pm

matonanjin wrote:
lance_h wrote:Tamron has an 18mm to 250mm zoom. This is the largest zoom ratio available in one lens. I have heard rave reviews about it from owners. Should cost about $500 on line.

I just got one of these for Christmas (very supportive wife :D ) and so far I think it's a great all-purpose lens. It won't compare with the 100-400 mm IS canon lens I have, but for just carrying around and taking photos it does a very good job.

Don't have any photos taken with it posted yet.

Brian

Previous

Board index Photography Technical Questions Which Lenses???