Board index Photography Technical Questions EOS 30d not always "firing"

Technical Questions

EOS 30d not always "firing"

Discuss technical aspects of photography
sdroberts

EOS 30d not always "firing"

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Ok, here are the symptoms,

1) The camera is not always "firing" when I push the trigger (i.e. nothing happens)

2) This seems to have started with in the last week

3) I believe this is only happening in low-light situations, yet in conditions I would expect to be able to photograph, and have captured in the past.

4) This happens in all modes

5) This is not lens specific

6) This happens even if I bump up the ISO as high as it can go and shoot at f/4 (my limit with the lenses I have)

7) I receive no error nor the usual indicators you would expect when the sensor can't handle the lighting conditions. In fact, the light meter is where it should be and the focus point indicators beep indicating the image is in focus.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
SD Roberts

talleyfamilyphotography

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:04 pm

You covered my first suggestion in point #7, so that's out. I'm always scratching my head with my 300D wondering why the shutter won't release, when I realize that the focus indicator is flashing at me (meaning it couldn't obtain focus).

The only other possibility I can think off right off hand is that the shutter button may be faulty. Sounds like you've covered all the other usual suspects in such a condition.

dang

Post Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:31 pm

I shot that way with my first 300d up until the end of this past summer, only after I'd saved up to replace it. I'd taken it in to be checked 3 times total, and was always told everything was fine. Then after I bought a shoe mount flash and it wouldn't sync, did I find the problem. I reloaded the firmware, and it's been fine.

After the fact, when I found others who'd had the same type problems it seems the firmware might be corrupted if changing lenses, or removing the card before powering down. It's easy to forget when we get rushed, and as senile as I am, it probably happened once too often.

I can't say this is your problem, but if cleaning the lens & body contacts won't help, it's something to consider. It was very frustrating being told nothings wrong, and the problems persisted. I hope you figure it out, and let us know.

For firmware reinstall information, check the Canon site here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller ... ropDownAct

One note, be sure and save your old version of firmware for backup on a clean CF card before you update, and be sure you have a fully charged battery before uploading firmware back into the body. Read everything on the site, and perform the update as described. If you're unsure about it, take it in to a repair shop instead. :wink:

sdroberts

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It seems this has been resolved with a simple lens/body contact cleaning. Though, I can't figure why "dirty" contacts would only effect the camera in low-light conditions.
SD Roberts

sebtd

Problem whit the field of view preview button

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:05 am

Whit my Canon Rebel (300D) I was getting the same odd problem.

I find out what was the problem: Te button of the preview of field of view was getting jam in the preview position doing so, jamming my camera until I pressed 1 or 2 times on it to unstuck it.

I believed that was caused by my camera bag, so now I make sure when I place the camera in my bag, not to have press this button.

I hope that might help some of you.

rjyates

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:04 pm

I had the same problem with my 20D at one stage - it does seem that cleaning the lens / body contacts is the usual solution.

Ric

Board index Photography Technical Questions EOS 30d not always "firing"