Board index Photography Technical Questions Choosing the best format for printing

Technical Questions

Choosing the best format for printing

Discuss technical aspects of photography
jimcritchley

Choosing the best format for printing

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:08 pm

I will be printing out some pictures from photobox, and I am wondering whether it is best to print them out in JPEG or TIFF. If the files are TIFF then they have a higher megapixel count, does this alter the quality?

Also, will the print quality be better if it is in 16 bit as opposed to 8 bit? I have a Nikon D70, so my printing will not be above A4 in size.

sheila

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:13 pm

Hi Jim

I usually print in tiff format - even for A4 but that's just the way I work. You can get a good Jpeg 8 bit print in A4 without too much loss. I always shoot RAW which gives me a better print in any event OMHO and I mainly do A3 prints. I always edit my converted RAW files in 16 bit but tend to convert to 8 bit Jpegs - mainly for storage reasons as 16 bit tend to eat up space.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

jimcritchley

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:28 am

Hi Sheila, thanks for that. A couple more questions though, I also shoot in RAW and then convert to JPEG only if I am going to print, otherwise I leave it as a psd file. Once you have finished all your processing do you convert your final image to JPEG knowing you will not touch it again as space is running out on my computer! Also, is it better to do the processing work in 16 bit and then convert the final image back to 8 for file space? Thanks again.

jellophoto

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:14 pm

Hi Jim,

My advice would be to leave your files in psd format and only make jpeg copies for web uploading. JPEGs were only really intended for monitor display, although they do print up on a home inkjet very well. They should not really be used for any kind of long term storage other than as original image files if that is how they were shot, as every time you save them they degrade due to the compression process used. If you are working in photoshop I would leave them in psd format, especially if you have any layers. Your edited files will store well long term as either psd or tiff files. Tiff supports layers but again unless you need to print them commercially psd will suffice. As you start in RAW you only need to go to jpegs for your web display.

As to storage just buy an external hard drive, or two , as prices have become very affordable. I would certainly not convert to jpeg just to save storage room.

Hope this helps,
Regards John

sheila

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:21 pm

jimcritchley wrote:Hi Sheila, thanks for that. A couple more questions though, I also shoot in RAW and then convert to JPEG only if I am going to print, otherwise I leave it as a psd file. Once you have finished all your processing do you convert your final image to JPEG knowing you will not touch it again as space is running out on my computer! Also, is it better to do the processing work in 16 bit and then convert the final image back to 8 for file space? Thanks again.

Yes and Yes. I do not do a lot in PS (other than maybe a touch of curves) so I feel I have no need for psd files (which seem to take up a lot of space!). I run two hard drives on my PC plus I have a 250 Gyb external - which is really my back up (plus I burn to CD/DVD as a second back up). If, on the rare occasion, I have done a lot of work in PS, I will keep the file as a psd file. As I shoot RAW, I always have the "original" file next to the JPeg file. My clients tend to prefer high res JPegs but if they require Tiffs, I just convert the RAW file into the Tiff format and burn to CD for them. If they want A3 prints, then I use Tiffs.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

chasp

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:34 am

jellophoto wrote:Hi Jim,

As to storage just buy an external hard drive, or two , as prices have become very affordable. I would certainly not convert to jpeg just to save storage room.

My advice to all with regards to backup is, if at all possible, back up twice to two different drives, and store one of them in another location. This is especially true given the lowering prices of external hard drives. If your house burns down or floods, and your backup is in the same place as your computer, you are still out of luck. I back up my backup once a week, and keep it at my parents house. Given all you have stored on a harddrive, it's the only way to be totally safe.

Charlie

jeanlou

Back-Up Store !

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:08 pm

Hi,

I do have a small hermetical "Safe Box" into my house, and believe me, i have thousands of photos on external HDD's in it !

Jean

Board index Photography Technical Questions Choosing the best format for printing