Board index Photography Technical Questions Trouble with Zoom :(

Technical Questions

Trouble with Zoom :(

Discuss technical aspects of photography
shemjx

Trouble with Zoom :(

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:44 pm

HI Guys, I'm using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 and i'm looking for a good camera with a good zoom and shot.

But i'm worry that i may not be able to Zoom far because the FZ5 gave me a 12xOptica zoom with 4x digita zoom and that's a 48zoom.

If i';m getting a lens zoom that rage from 200 or 300, can i or may i say i will have a better zoom than my FZ5?

Thx you guys for taking your time to reply me.

If Possible, can you tell me which Camera and legs shld i get?

Thx a Millions.
Shem Japan.

castledude

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:55 pm

You will not find a 12x range optical zoom in an SLR. The digital zoom is junk and can be emulated in any good post processing program (Photoshop, etc).

The FZ5 has a 36-432 (equivalent) optical zoom.

The only wide range lens I know of (that gets decent reviews) is the 18-200 Nikon (equivalent 25-350). But now comes the part of a DSLR that is great. You can change the lens. If you have the money and inclination you can get a lens like the Nikon F4 500mm which would give you about 750mm of reach (nearly double that of your FZ5). You can also get something like the "Bigma" which is a pretty amazing 50-500mm lens. Adding a doubler gets you to 1000mm.

Figure out what you are missing from your FZ5 before upgrading. There is no one answer to what camera is the best. It breaks down into price, performance (low light and frame rate), ruggedness, weight. There is no one perfect answer for everybody. Be sure to put the lenses you want into the equation and expect to spend more time post processing the images.

Take a look at the pictures you have taken with your FZ5, look at the focal lengths you have used and try to get the best lens you can in that range.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Trouble with Zoom :(