Board index Photography Technical Questions Cannon EOS 350D or 400D EFS??

Technical Questions

Cannon EOS 350D or 400D EFS??

Discuss technical aspects of photography
kevin_in_malaga

Cannon EOS 350D or 400D EFS??

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:11 pm

Firstly Happy New year to all. I will be buying on Tuesday one of the above, BUT which one :?:
I have had years of use with a cannon EOS 300 and have still got it in it's original Box and in Mint condition but now worth nothing. I also have for the same camara 3 Lenses. voigtlander Macro Dynar 100mm 1:5.5 a Sigma DL Zoom 75-300 mm 1:4-5.6 and a Cannon 28-80mm OK so that it what I have got at the present. I have used this mainly for macro Fotography, Watches, Insects, Worker Bees, ants etc :roll:
I now have time to take up fotography in a bigger way and was looking at the cannon 400D as it may go with the lenses I have mentioned above, can anyone help me on this please. Also Is the jump in price between the aforementioned cameras really worth it?. The 400D does look tempting though. I need to maybe start a fresh as this digital work is not like the old printed photos.....Back to School I suppose. Anyway if any of you guys and Gals could give me your ideas I would be very greatfull. Thanks

dang

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:41 pm

Either camera is fine. I currently have a 300D, and 350D and will probably add a new 400D later this coming year. If you shoot macro, the 400D might be a better choice due to the slight mp increase since you'll be doing some cropping. Anything to help keep the sensor clean is an added bonus, since dust specks are more pronounced shooting macro. The start up time, and fast speed of both cameras will help make the change over to digital much easier. The old 300d is so slow starting up, it's a pain to use for macro by comparison, especially if you enjoy shooting insects.

Most EF compatible lenses do work on most small sensor bodies, just beware when adding lenses the reverse isn't true. EF-S mounts will not work with film, or full frame. However, "after market" lenses such as Sigma have had some compatibility problems in the past when used on digitals. So there's a possibility only the Canon lens you have will be okay. I can't recall every lens, but you can search google to see which ones are. Among some of the problems is loss of automatic focusing.

Happy shooting, and Happy New Year!

kevin_in_malaga

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:51 pm

Hi Dang, Thanks very much for getting back to me. I see what you mean about the dust and Macro even after a good clean a watch taken with macro can appear terrible, so this is a good point on your part and one I had not thought about. I am going to take the lenses I have to the shop when I buy the camera so will try them out. I seem to be leaning towards the 400D :roll: I Have just been looking at the Photos in the Photo data base on this site, there are some amazing shots. I have some somewhere of Dolphins jumping out of the water with the spray of water cristal clear coming off their backs against a clear blue sky, I will try and post them on the boards when I find out how you do that :P Happy New year to you and thanks again

kevin_in_malaga

pentax K10D

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:37 pm

Hi. Well at the end of the day after searching with no luck for a Cannon, I ended up with a pentax K10D. So here goes!!!!. Will be beck in touch with some photos once i have found my way around the thing :) All the best.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Cannon EOS 350D or 400D EFS??