Board index Photography Technical Questions RAW Image Procesing Software

Technical Questions

RAW Image Procesing Software

Discuss technical aspects of photography
goodlistener

RAW Image Procesing Software

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:52 am

A very good photographer on PBase has recommended the use of Bibble RAW conversion and processing software. The web site looks really good too. The question is: What do people mostly use for contrast control, blemish and noise reduction and the like?

More importantly, why?javascript:emoticon(':P')

jdepould

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:35 am

Lightroom, because it's a good end-to-end solution that's free (for now). Can even use it without photoshop.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

neovolatile

RAW, etc

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:54 pm

For RAW conversion I am using RAW Shooter Essentials (it has been free, though now discontinued). I like the workflow, the color correction, whether to increase the exposure, the fill light, change the WB, sharpen, what format to output.

I also have the program that came in the Canon 30D box. It is pretty good but I am still using the above.

For noise reduction (and I do shoot at ISO 1600), I use ISO-X. It is an automated plugin for Photoshop. Does nice noise reduction without getting too soft.

Blemish removal? I do that by hand. Transparent layer, clone brush 30% all layers/ non-aligned, Channels - Green. Then slide the opacity of the layer back to maybe 85%. For just dusting the shine off the face, 10-15% opacity on clone brush. I just have not found an automated touch-up tool that does not make everything look plastic.

Just my opinions,
Ellsworth Weaver

photographieur

I am using Raw Shooter

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:50 pm

I am using RAW Shooter (premium) because I can save almost every desperate situation with it... Try to shoot RAW, and you'll never shoo JPEG again !!

passions

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:35 pm

I was using photoshop elements but i was not satisfied. I start to use Capture NX from nikon. I'm not sure it's the best software but for now, i'm doing good job with it.

Martin

ernst

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:16 pm

I used to use RawShooter Premium, but since I updated Adobe CameraRaw to version 3 and higher, I tend to like the latter more.
The workflow in RSP is better, but I found mself still adjusting levels/curves in Photoshop. The conversions in ACR are such that I only need curves for special effects or some local adjustments.
It appears that (some) rawshooter technology is incorporated in Lightroom, so we get the best of both worlds :wink:

I think there are no really bad raw converters. It is more whether you are happy with the results and the ease of use. Maybe some converters are biased to landscapes and other to skintones and there is where your choise could be.

jfsthlmn

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:43 pm

I use Phase One's Capture to process my RAW images. The LE version is around $100 but you can get a thirty day trial for free. I did and was sold in the first session. I adjust WB, exposure, and sharpening then convert the adjusted images to TIFF for further editing, saving the RAW files to a disc.

ladstrayer

RAW processing software

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:03 pm

I use Adobe Photoshop CS2. I feel Photoshop is the leading imaging software. In CS2 it allows you to save your RAW file as a Digital negative Format (DNG) file. This is a new RAW format that Adobe has created to be a universal format for RAW. To this point all camera manufactures use their our RAW format which could be a problem in the future if they stop supporting that format.
lad strayer

gaocus

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:48 am

Phase One's Capture One is the best converter I have used.

Board index Photography Technical Questions RAW Image Procesing Software