Board index Photography Technical Questions Retouching tips for documentary pictures

Technical Questions

Retouching tips for documentary pictures

Discuss technical aspects of photography
diegomiranda

Retouching tips for documentary pictures

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:15 pm

Hey, hello, i´d like to know some tips of retouching. I´m taking pics trying to figure out how Paolo Pellegrin retouch his pics taken with an olimpus digital camera. Please, look for his pics in internet and tell me some tips about the shadows, contrast, lighting etc.

He uses a digital camera, so, i´d like to know how is he using photoshop.

Any tip will be useful. Thanks.

Diego. :?:

dang

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:27 am

This isn't the type photoshop work that I do, so I can't help you with it. However, you might add the links to examples yourself, to make it easier for others who can offer advice. :idea:

diegomiranda

examples for retouching

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:52 pm

ok, this is the photographer i´m talking about. I read he uses a digital olympus camera for his job on newsweek. ´Bt, as you will see, he plays a lot with shadows and i don´t know, contrast could be?

I´d like to know if someone have tips to try about retouching with this style.

http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/C.a ... m&SP=Album

please, look at the pictures and any advice will be helpful. I think what paolo pellegrin is doing is still being documentary photography, but with a very dramatic effect.

Thanks.

alain_lestrade

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:48 pm

Diego,

I'm not sure that the process that rends the photos as dramatic and interesting is so difficult to reach, whatever the type of the used sensor (argentic or digital). Any software could do that. But first, the small size of the pics is favourable; secondly, their interest comes in my opinion, from their framing, dynamics & low key,

i.e. professional work...

I like that work, being an adept of B/W, specially for low key.

Thanks for that link,

Alain. http://www.pbase.com/alain_lestrade

Board index Photography Technical Questions Retouching tips for documentary pictures