Board index Photography Technical Questions UV filters + Adorama agitators

Technical Questions

UV filters + Adorama agitators

Discuss technical aspects of photography
drogowski

UV filters + Adorama agitators

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:55 am

i would like to know your opinion on adorama sales reps. i just switched to canon so was buying a lot of stuff among which was hoya's pro1 multicoated uv filter ...i made an order and next day adorama's sales rep. called and started to rave on how good filter i have picked but how tiffen is even better because it is internally coated and bla bla bla ...he gave me 50 off on $200 value tiffen package so i went for it ...now i am wondering how much of it was his honest expertise and how much of it was tiffen's incentives for adoramas sales dep. to sell more of their stuff ...
what's your opinion on adorama in that matter and what do you think of tiffens superiority over other filters especially hoya
thx
lukas

jdepould

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:45 pm

Isn't Tiffen bankrupt? Personally, I think Tiffen and Hoya are about the same. They're good, but not B+W good. They're also not B+W expensive.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

pathfindar

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:28 am

I have never had a problem with Adorama, but I have never been contacted by their sales reps. I have bought a number of items off them.

It has been a few years since I looked into filters, but always thought Hoya better than Tiffen. Tiffen didn't coat their filters because they were made from two pieces of glass glued to a colored plastic sheet in the center. I guess that's what they mean by "internal coating." Hoyas were solid glass. I felt the Hoya optical coating was steadfast and optically better than the colored plastic sheet.

One advantage of the Tiffen was because it was two pieces glued, if you dropped it on a rock it would crack but stay in one piece like your windshield where the solid glass would shatter. Either way you lost the filter, but one you don't have small pieces of glass and I suppose that might protect your lens more.

With the "coating" between two glass pieces, it would be harder to damage the coating, but I think if you scratched a Hoya enough to ruin the coating, the same scratch would still ruin the Tiffen by virtue of the scratch.

Board index Photography Technical Questions UV filters + Adorama agitators