Board index Photography Technical Questions UV FILTER IN STUDIO SETUP

Technical Questions

UV FILTER IN STUDIO SETUP

Discuss technical aspects of photography
drogowski

UV FILTER IN STUDIO SETUP

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:04 am

ok i got to beat up this subject a little bit

how does a good filter (whatever it is ) influence studio or generally indoor flash photography ?

alexphotos

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:27 am

I usaly keep my uv filter. I use it more for a protection for my lens.
Alexandre Trudeau-Dion aka ALEXPHOTOS http://www.pbase.com/alexphotos <=== http://www.Alexphotos.ca

pathfindar

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:50 am

I usually have a UV filter on my camera I carry more for lens protection. I generally carry a Canon EOS rebel for shooting around. I have a Kodak DCS Pro in the studio and usually have the filter off as long as it is in the studio. I don't know why- i don't think it makes a difference.

ghsmith178613

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:10 pm

pathfindar wrote:I usually have a UV filter on my camera I carry more for lens protection.

and that's just about all they are good for. even then, a lens has to be really abused to make a real difference.

consider using filters (uv/haze) for creating your own sfx. - soft focus, soft spot, etc. really old photo tip: paint it with clear nail polish, spray it with hair spray, etc.

oh... turn off the auto focus.. you will drive the servo totally nuts!!!!

dang

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:53 pm

Vaseline is another good substance for soft focus that we used "back when" too. :wink:

You might get some slack about leaving the UV filter on while in the studio primarily because you shouldn't be very concerned about ultra violet in such a setting, and adding the extra glass can sometimes cause additional problems with flare, and ghosting. I usually remove any filter when shooting "table top", unless reflections become a problem. Then, I've often used a C-PL instead. If you check with people doing model shoots, you'll find different opinions (like always), but if you leave a filter on full time, be sure and buy the best possible quality. Especially if you're buying expensive glass. I've seen people spend money for "L" glass, then degrade it with a $20.00 filter. I agree it's wonderful protection in general, but not at the cost of photo quality if someone shoots double spread ads for magazines.

If you're only shooting for enjoyment, do whatever works for you. It's when you start looking at others work, and thinking your shots are missing something, that you might decide the extra trouble of adding/removing filters is worth the effort. Otherwise, don't mention it and let the photo speak for it's self. There's times when there's good, and there's good enough. You can't please everyone.. so.. as the song says. :wink:

Board index Photography Technical Questions UV FILTER IN STUDIO SETUP