Board index Photography Technical Questions Lens Differnce

Technical Questions

Lens Differnce

Discuss technical aspects of photography
matio

Lens Differnce

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi
Since This is my 1st Post, I'd like to say hello from Slovakia. I hople I'll have a gr8 time with u guys :D

And now to my question

I'm purchasing a D80, and I was given an option:
Either Sigma 28-70mm f2.8-4 HIGH SPEED + Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro
Or Nikon 28-80 F3.3-5.6G AF Zoom Nikkor + Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Zoom Nikkor, at a higher pricer

Now, I also purchased a SB-600 flash, so I would like to know, if the Sigmas, are going to work with flash?

Overall, I'm more acoustemed to the Sigmas, because I'm reaching my $$$ limit, and they suit me better but I'd rather Double-check, because they'd be useless if they wouldn't work with the external flash

Thanks

PS: sorry, if this has been posted in the wrong category

tuckeruk

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi Matio,

I'd pass on both those 28- something zooms, as 28mm is 'normal' on a D80, you really want wider than that for your standard zoom lens, something starting at 18mm is ideal.

Two great budget lenses from Nikon are the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm. You loose your 300mm capability, but the Sigma, in common with every other consumer -300mm zoom, is quite soft at 300mm anyway, so not such a great loss perhaps.

If your budget ran higher the 18-70mm and 70-300mm VR would be an excellent choice, and if money were no object the 17-55mm and 70-200mm VR of course.

Thinking about it, your D80 will be out of date in 12 months time, why not invest in good lenses and buy a cheaper body? Unlike film bodies, digital bodies can be considered disposable consumables I’m afraid.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by tuckeruk on Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdepould

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:25 pm

+1 on the 18-70 and 70-300 (VR or not). The 18-70 came as the kit lens on the D200 I have (not mine), it's a good focal range, only downside is that it's a DX lens, which means it won't work with a full frame sensor. The 70-300VR is just amazing, without VR you'd definitely need a tripod/monopod.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

matio

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:14 pm

Thanks your help
Unfortunately, those 2 pairs are part of sets, which I can ONLY choose from(long story :-/ )
So I've got to choose one the pairs, I just don't know if the sigma pair works well with SB-600 flash(works well as is the D equivalent with Nikkor lens, thus sends info back to the camera and flash)

And yes, almost instantly when the camera arrives, I'll be ordering a Nikkor 50m F1.4D lens

BTW: What body would you recommend to buy(in the price range of D80 or lower)

Thanks a lot for your help and feedback,

jdepould

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:56 pm

matio wrote:Thanks your help
Unfortunately, those 2 pairs are part of sets, which I can ONLY choose from(long story :-/ )
So I've got to choose one the pairs, I just don't know if the sigma pair works well with SB-600 flash(works well as is the D equivalent with Nikkor lens, thus sends info back to the camera and flash)

And yes, almost instantly when the camera arrives, I'll be ordering a Nikkor 50m F1.4D lens

BTW: What body would you recommend to buy(in the price range of D80 or lower)

Thanks a lot for your help and feedback,

From what I've read, the D80 looks like a good buy, it's just about as good as the D200, the differences are in the details that many people will probably never notice. The D200 has a metal body and full weather sealing, the D80 is plastic and the seals aren't as heavy. Having said that, Nikon does plastic bodies very well, my D50 feels rock solid, and I'm not afraid to take it out in the rain. The D200 also has 5 frames/sec continuous mode with a 22 image buffer (when shooting RAW).

If those are your only two options, I'd be tempted to buy the body only and do my lens shopping elsewhere.

As far as the Sigma lenses working with the SB-600, they SHOULD, but I'm not an expert, so take that with a grain of salt.

Good choice on the 50mm prime, but do you really need the 1.4? The 1.8 is very good, for about 1/3 the price. I would evaluate whether I really needed the more expensive lens before putting down more money that could be used elsewhere.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Nikon D300, D200

matio

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:16 pm

jdepould wrote:Good choice on the 50mm prime, but do you really need the 1.4? The 1.8 is very good, for about 1/3 the price. I would evaluate whether I really needed the more expensive lens before putting down more money that could be used elsewhere.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Since I'm planning to do Indoor + lowlight shooting, I guess i do need the 1.4
and also weather-proof casing is not so important.
I'm also saving money for a 70-200mm f/2,8 VR, but that will take som time,

That's why the sigma pair is going to be a short period substitute, so i dont want go get stuck that the lens is not going to be able to communicate with flash

Thanks for your input

tuckeruk

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:23 pm

I agree with jdepould, find another deal. Having no wide-angle lens at all will surely be a disadvantage to you, especially if you plan shooting interiors.

Sigma lenses have been 'D' compatible since the late '80s (EDIT: Poor memory, just checked, actually early 90's).

Again, hope that helps.
Last edited by tuckeruk on Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jdepould

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:59 pm

matio wrote:That's why the sigma pair is going to be a short period substitute, so i dont want go get stuck that the lens is not going to be able to communicate with flash

Thanks for your input

I would avoid stopgap lens purchases, it always ends up costing more in the long term, and you end up with glass that isn't as good as you'd like. I would continue to shop around.
Nikon D300, D200

Board index Photography Technical Questions Lens Differnce