Board index Photography Technical Questions Which filter??

Technical Questions

Which filter??

Discuss technical aspects of photography
jonbatchelor

Which filter??

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:15 pm

I am off skiing in the coming weeks and am under the impression that pictures of (hopefully) blue sky and white snow would be vastly improved by using a PL filter on a DSLR. Can anyone verify this, or suggest a different filter that may be of use?

Further to this looking at PL filters online i've seen the following (see below);

My question would be which one for an Oly E500, PL or PL-CIR??

Thanks in advance!!

Light rays which are reflected by any surface become polarised and Polarising filter are used to select which light rays enter your camera lens. PL (Linear Polarising) and PL-CIR (Circular Polarising) filters have the same effect, but it is important that you use the correct filter for your camera¹. They allow you to remove unwanted reflections from non-metallic surfaces such as water, glass etc. They also enable colours to become more saturated and appear clearer, with better contrast. This effect is often used to increase the contrast and saturation in blue skies and white clouds. Hoya polarising filters do not affect the overall colour balance of a shot.

¹ Many of todays cameras use semi-silvered mirrors or prisms to split the light entering the viewfinder in order to calculate the exposure and focusing distance. PL (Linear Polarising) filters can sometimes interact with these items to give unpredictable exposure or focusing. So we recommend that you choose a PL-CIR (Circular Polarising) filter unless you have a manual focus camera that has no beam splitter.

ericvision

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:22 pm

You want a circular polariser...

Board index Photography Technical Questions Which filter??