Board index Photography Technical Questions Nikon D 40 with 18-200nikkor vr lens? help in gyms!

Technical Questions

Nikon D 40 with 18-200nikkor vr lens? help in gyms!

Discuss technical aspects of photography
dlh249

Nikon D 40 with 18-200nikkor vr lens? help in gyms!

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:03 pm

so disappointed in my first attempt to shoot basketball. tried all settings blurry, dark, not good quality.. what settings do i use? iso? do i need tripod.. is this lens ok for indoor? thanks neebie. dh :(

gemmf

Re: Nikon D 40 with 18-200nikkor vr lens? help in gyms!

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:36 pm

dlh249 wrote:so disappointed in my first attempt to shoot basketball. tried all settings blurry, dark, not good quality.. what settings do i use? iso? do i need tripod.. is this lens ok for indoor? thanks neebie. dh :(

Probably the biggest problem is the lens. I believe the lens you are using is f5.6 (at the long end)? You'd probably need f2.8 or higher for indoor sports to get fast enough shutter speed. Blur is most likely to be caused by too slow shutter speed. ISO really depends on the light level but I guess we are talking around ISO1600(ish). Have you got any examples to show so that we'll be able to analyse them better?

Board index Photography Technical Questions Nikon D 40 with 18-200nikkor vr lens? help in gyms!