Board index Photography Technical Questions Can't get RAW images out of my Digital Rebel

Technical Questions

Can't get RAW images out of my Digital Rebel

Discuss technical aspects of photography
billinchapelhill

Can't get RAW images out of my Digital Rebel

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:36 pm

Something has happened. If I shoot in RAW, I can preview the image in the camera but when I go to download, I can't see the file. Thus I can't download it. So I am now shooting all JPEGS. This problem applies to both of my computers.

One operational fact is that I now reformat the card to erase images after downloading. This gets rid of the accumulating subfolders that the camera creates.

Anyone have advice on what is happening?

rickl52

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:26 pm

How are you attempting to download from the camera? And were you able to download them before?

If you are simply connecting the camera and opening the folders, without certain programs or features your computer operating system may not recognize RAW files. If you're using your camera's software it should see them so the software might need reinstalling.

The best and most reliable method seems to be using a card reader. With that I can manually select and download the files or let my RAW processor download directly into itself.

Btw, the preview you see in your camera is a thumbnail jpeg the camera has generated. You're not seeing the actual RAW file. I suppose it's possible that the camera firmware has somehow corrupted and it's not tagging the files properly to be seen by your computer. If that were the case then the above ideas may not work. Reloading the firmware would be the only option then.

Rick

billinchapelhill

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:12 pm

Rick
I download thru a USB cable using the Windows explorer. I have also tried unsuccessfully getting to these files using Canon's Zoom Browser.

Yes I was able to download RAW files before from this camera.

Thanks to your input, I tried downloading with the Canon EOS utility and that worked.

jude_53

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:39 am

I'm trying to follow this and if I'm not mistaken I think I know what's wrong.
When I download RAW files they do not show up in my regular "my pictures" until I go into my canon fileviewer, mark and save them as TIFF's.. THEN they show.. Look in fileviewer and see under that day's date.

If that's not it.. i''m lost :shock:

goodlistener

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:39 pm

Bill, the user community here is really good, but you can call Canon at 1 800 OK CANON and get free technical support.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Can't get RAW images out of my Digital Rebel