Board index Photography Technical Questions ANOTHER question about RAW and JPG

Technical Questions

ANOTHER question about RAW and JPG

Discuss technical aspects of photography
rsub8

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:43 am

artandrevolution wrote:if anyone knows a free way to get photoshop CS2 (i pirated my 7) i'm interested as i'm dirt poor and it took me 6 months just to save for the camera.

artandrevolution wrote:only because adobe is a multi billion dollar corporation....

Actually, dougj, if you want to take this discussion offline to a PM debate, especially about the above, which were the first and third posts in this thread, I'm sure the others would appreciate it if we continue it there. I'd be willing to do so.

dougj

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:50 am

I have no need to do this in this thread, I have done so numerous times in the past both in these forums and others.

You have accused me, and others now of basically supporting criminal activities by not posting against the OPs post. This is completely and totally unsupported and irrational behavior.

You made broad accusations directed to all Pbase forum readers and contributors, mostly directed to myself and other posters in the this thread. You are not in a position to judge others based on a limited number of posts, or a lack of posts. And you should adjust accordingly.

As I mentioned there are better ways of creating a dialog and communicating a message. An outright essentially baseless attack with limited information on a forum is not one of these.

dougj

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:52 am

Taking this offline to PMs would be good, let's proceed.

rsub8

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:52 am

dougj wrote:This is completely and totally unsupported and irrational behavior.
Yes :lol:

rsub8

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:54 am

dougj wrote:Taking this offline to PMs would be good, let's proceed.

Thanks. And I'm sincerely hoping that something positive comes from it.

artandrevolution

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:29 pm

to settle this stupid argument...up until photoshop CS (as far as i understand it), photoshop 7 (the one i have) was GIVEN to me by someone who PAID for it. i use term pirated in a general term as i have freeware and not freeware that get's handed down when people dont USE it anymore. so...because another person upgraded and had to pay another $800 for a program and didnt need an older version then I'm somehow a "bad" person?
If i'm also correct you cant actually put Photoshop CS on more then ONE computor without paying out the ass for it (many pros have more then one computor they work off of).
rsub8...your full of assumptions on what kind of person i am because i'm a struggeling artist trying to find the most efficient way to work on my ART.
AND for the record...many people have "borrwed" my images and i dont really mind as long as it's NOT for profit. I like sharing. I'm not selling pirated versions of Adobe so just because something is written as "law" and is "illegal", doesnt have ANYTHING whatsoever to do with "morals".
I mean..i also dont believe in the bible and apparently that's a type of writen law for religeous folk.
I'm also an anarchist which means my "morals and values" are a hell of alot different then yours.
so go buy another starbucks and get your panties in a twisan

NOW BACK TO THE POINT.
the person that i did a shoot for asked me to shoot RAW and then wanted all of the RAW images burned to CD so that his friend could mess with the shots(he was the model) in PS. I copied all of the .CR2 files to a CD not realizing that his computor (that has PSCS2) couldnt open the files. I can use my own zoombrowser and whatnot to convert the images how i need to but to save time and space on my computor is there an easier way to convert the .CR2 files on another computor that may not have my cameras software on it?
"The role of the revolutionary artist is to make revolution irresistable"

dharden

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:45 pm

unfortunately you need some kind of RAW conversion software on the computer you're working on if you're starting with .CR2 files. A RAW file (as you may already know) is essentially greyscale data straight off the sensor and needs to go through either the camera processor at the time of capture or through a software converter post-capture.

The best i could suggest in the absence of conversion software is to get the Microsoft RAW viewer downloaded to the PC you're working on. It can view .CR2 and (i think) .NEF files, albeit unsharpened and at a 'rough' brightness and contrast setting. At least you can see 'em though! :)

I can't understand why your friend can't open .CR2 files with his photoshop though. Unless he hasn't got the RAW converter plug-in. It's a free download from Adobe. If he has got it, it may be that your camera isn't supported on the version he has. The latest version is 3.7 and can be downloaded (free) from the Adobe website.

HTH

artandrevolution

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:59 pm

I just went and downloaded the adobe DNG converter so hopefully that will help. thanks for the tips.

ronsc

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:04 am

artandrevolution wrote:the person that i did a shoot for asked me to shoot RAW and then wanted all of the RAW images burned to CD so that his friend could mess with the shots (he was the model) in PS. I copied all of the .CR2 files to a CD not realizing that his computor (that has PSCS2) couldnt open the files. I can use my own zoombrowser and whatnot to convert the images how i need to but to save time and space on my computor is there an easier way to convert the .CR2 files on another computor that may not have my cameras software on it?

PhotoShop CS2 requires the camera RAW 3.7 update from here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3584

This should solve the problem of converting CR2 files to TIFF with CS2. The person who received the CD with the RAW files needs to download the upgrade.

To add more to the ongoing pissing contest, let me mention this: PhotoShop CS2 requires activation. When you purchase the standard software you are given a license to activate copies on TWO computers. The reason for this is that many photographers use both a laptop and a desktop. If you have activated on two comps, you must de-activate one before you can load the software onto another computer.

Also, typically If someone gives you a copy of licensed software I believe it is technically legal for you to use it if the person giving it to you has removed it from their computer. You could have saved a lot of panties getting all wadded up if you had merely stated you had a copy of PS 7 and left out the word "pirated".

Once you become familiar with shooting digital and using PhotoShop I bet you will prefer it to film. Enjoy your Rebel XTi.

artandrevolution

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:14 am

there's several people that will bitch and whine no matter what i say regardless of vocabulary.
and if that person didnt deactivate it on thier computor then i guess i'll be waiting for rsub8 to call the software police to have them knocking down my front door and dragging me off to jail!

dougj

Try Irfanview

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:41 am

There is a very nice, free, stand alone program called Irfanview that will do RAW conversions, simple editing, batch processing, etc.

http://www.irfanview.net/

ghsmith178613

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:04 pm

artandrevolution wrote:NOW BACK TO THE POINT.
the person that i did a shoot for asked me to shoot RAW and then wanted all of the RAW images burned to CD so that his friend could mess with the shots(he was the model) in PS. I copied all of the .CR2 files to a CD not realizing that his computor (that has PSCS2) couldnt open the files. I can use my own zoombrowser and whatnot to convert the images how i need to but to save time and space on my computor is there an easier way to convert the .CR2 files on another computor that may not have my cameras software on it?

you were "ok" until you fessed up to "piracy." i have a problem with that behavior.

you see, i'm one of the suckers that has paid for the right to use, and promoted the advancement of adobe over the years.

i'm one of the suckers that has to charge for my work so that i can pay adobe for the right to use their technology.

if we all took the "pirate" attitude, those companies wouldn't be here with great technology. by the way, even the "free stuff" guys want a contribution.

is there a problem with asking you to pay for your own tools? if you tried to "borrow" a wrench; would have the hand to use it.?

if you tried to "borrow" a steak; would you have the teeth to eat it?

i'm not going to judge or chastise you. i'm going to ask you to either play the game like a big boy or get out of the game.

artandrevolution

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:36 pm

im a girl not a boy. quit being sexist.

tada30

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:31 pm

ghsmith178613 wrote:if we all took the "pirate" attitude, those companies wouldn't be here with great technology. by the way, even the "free stuff" guys want a contribution.

O.K., but maybe Adobe should lower its bloated software licensing costs. As of 2005, Adobe had compensated CEO Bruce Chizen ~$50,000,000 (cumulative over a 5-year period). No exec is worth $10,000,000/yr. And yes, I have to admit, the hard-working photographer/sole-proprietor/curious-student in this story takes on a Robin Hood persona. :-) Hey, Adobe is obviously able to afford paying its CEO quite handsomely, so you can cut the B.S. about putting Adobe out of business.

dick_haynes

Review

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:28 am

First of all i find this to be the funniest formum discussion yet. Lets recap, shall we? First we discovered a , garrrrr! Pirate in our midst. OMG! Then someone brought up the subject of what I think was a non-existant internet etiquette "good samaritan law" stating that becuase a poster did not comment on the piracy, they were at fault as well. Then there was some more arguing over the same stuff, then we discover that the "pirate" is an anarchist. Heck ya! Down with the government!, Are you in high school? Here is a serious question: What "Art Revolution" are you going to start. But, I guess as a pirate, society is to blame. Here is an idea for the starving artist: put down the persona of a cutlass weilding, peg-leg having, eye patch wearing, parrot on your shoulder having, society fighting, the goverment sucks pirate, and get a job. Pay for things you want. And grow the F*ck up!

Oh, here's another one for you, yes, the CEO makes a crapload of money, why? becasue there products are so good and desirable the people will happily pay for their use. Ever wonder why starbucks charge $5 for a cup of coffee? Because people will pay for it! Why does Adobe charge $800 for their software? Because people will pay it. They hardly have a monopoly(oxymoron?), there are many other software options out there. But heres a great thought-"90% of the work that goes into a my photos happens before I press the shutter" -Ansel Adams

You don't need these tools to make it work, go back to the basics and save your $800.

Previous

Board index Photography Technical Questions ANOTHER question about RAW and JPG