Board index Photography Technical Questions Selling photos

Technical Questions

Selling photos

Discuss technical aspects of photography
mobuchu

Selling photos

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:57 am

Anyone have any experience in selling their photos with exclusive rights, or know where to find better info? I have an oportunity here, but I dont want to insult the buyer or myself with the price.
The original is only 1600 x 1200, thought that may make a difference.

dougj

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:04 pm

Sheila, one of pbase's long time members and forum contributor, has a lot of experience with selling photos. Maybe she'll stop by in this thread, you can also do a search for her posts in the forums or contact her directly.

It would be good to discuss it in the forum.

dang

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:19 pm

There's not a way to put a solid price on what a photo is worth, imho. There's a lot to consider, so it's not easy to set a certain price for everyone/every photo. Here's a couple of sites I use for reference that might help:

The first one discusses some valid points about prices:
http://brianx.com/lifestyle/photography-prices.html

Here's another site with some helpful info, but you'll need to consider area among other things: http://www.fotografi.org/fees_professio ... _ITALY.htm

Unless the photo can't be rephotographed, there's little to stop you from taking another similar shot, or reproducing another similar exposure you took at the same time (for that matter) depending on how the terms of sell are quoted. Also, will it bring you more business from the buyer later on, and what are the likely chances you'd sell if for other uses in the future? Could these people find another shot which is similar, with the same quality or higher? If it's of something that many people photograph, they may very well do just that if you price it too high. So be realistic, and do some additional research. Unless you have people lined up to purchase your photos on a regular basis, pricing can be your worst enemy in helping future sales.

sheila

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:49 pm

Since the advent of microstocks ("MS"), pricing images is a minefield. Quote too low and you undervalue your work (and your wallet!) and price too high and you never hear from them again. Although I use FotoQuote software, here is a link to an index which is used as a basis for prices by a lot of photographers (and also stock libraries)

http://photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

MS really have knocked the bottom out of stock photography and a lot of stock pros are going out of business or concentrating on other areas of photography. I now sell more prints to Joe Public than I do stock. Whenever I am asked to quote, I have to think long and hard weighing up how good the image is, can they prospective buyer obtain a similar image for two bucks on MS and the ability to pay. Whenever I quote these days, I add by asking if the price is within their budget (which I never did in the past!). Regarding exclusivity, Dang has covered this. Just don't sell your copyright unless its for megabucks.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

ghsmith178613

Re: Selling photos

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:03 pm

mobuchu wrote:Anyone have any experience in selling their photos with exclusive rights, or know where to find better info? I have an oportunity here, but I dont want to insult the buyer or myself with the price.

wow! EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS takes the image out of the stock photo market. they own it from now on. you can never sell it again. you don't see my images on here because i've work on exclusive rights for the past ten years. in most cases, i wasn't even allowed to claim them for my portfolio - no reprints, no tear sheets, nada, zip, zero, nuttin'.

i suggest you approach this like any other business deal. what did you spend to create it? do you have a day rate? what are your neighbors charging? NEVER, NEVER, NEVER UNDERSELL YOUR WORTH.

sheila

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:42 am

Its my understanding that you can sell an image with exclusive rights but only in the field in which the image is required - ie. a greetings card manufacturer can buy an image for exclusive use as a card but its only exclusive to cards. You can sell the same image to another as long as its not used for cards. I may be wrong - it has been known in the past - my first husband springs to mind :) You can always put a time limit on exclusivity. As with exclusivity, it all depends on the agreement you have with the buyer.

Now selling copyright is different. If you sell the copyright of an image, you can no longer use the image, not even have it on your website as you have lost all rights to it. Unless you are offered megabucks and you feel you have somewhat similar images, then its fine to sell the copyright. Its not something I would recommend.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

mobuchu

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:54 am

Thanks for the responses guys (and gals). After coming upon this situation and asking around on here, my camera shop, other photographers, it seems to be a very tough question. And one that alot of photographers (amateur or pro) have trouble dealing with. What I did get was a good starting point, and based my estimate from there.

Really, I was flattered by the proposition, so I didn't want to ask too much and turn them off. But I got a good response and I feel it was a very fair price to myself as well so I'm happy.

Now I'm thinking of putting more into stock sites to see how it goes. But no more hard questions on prices, I'll use the links you guys provided... :)

Thanks again

valerie718

Pricing for web pages

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:34 pm

Hello All! Photography has only been a hobby up until now, but I would love the chance to step it up a level, and possibly sell some of my images. I was just approached by the owner of a new, start up small company here in Jacksonville about using a couple of my Jacksonville images on the web site he is having redesigned. He is offering to give me photo credit on his web site, and also show the link to my Pbase gallery. He also has a lot of local contacts in the print and advertising field. Do you think that getting my photos up on a commercial website, and well as the contacts I could make through this would be more valuable in the long run, rather than a monetary payment? And if you think I should charge, how much would I charge? I have no clue about all of this yet. And I am also looking for a license to use. Are there any stock license forms that you use, or that can be edited?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Valerie

icholakov

Re: Pricing for web pages

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:35 pm

If you enjoy photography you can let others use your photos as long as you support the cause they are used for. "Little airplane" just used one of mine on the tv show Wonderpets, which I event taped. When my son is a couple of years older I'm sure he would enjoy it.

flying_dutchman

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi all!

Maybe I can post my question here too...
Fortunally I'm alble to sell pictures to magazines and stuff so now and then but last week I've got a special request from a illustration-company that wants to use one or more of my picutures for 3-d animations of KLM aircraft.
They cannot yet say if they want to use them for advertising or instruction-videos but nevertheless they want to buy the large version of my photo's for unlimited use .

What is a good price to ask? I think it is really hard to say if they cannot say what they will be using it for.

Please advise! Thank you!

Best regards,
Flying Dutchman

benjikan

Re: Selling photos

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:41 pm

mobuchu wrote:Anyone have any experience in selling their photos with exclusive rights, or know where to find better info? I have an oportunity here, but I dont want to insult the buyer or myself with the price.

There are actual barometers when selling "Stock Images". One of the reasons Companies, Ad Agencies and Magazines buy stock, is they do not have to pay for the production, i.e. Daily rates, Rentals etc. But they still must pay for the "Rights of Usage" Rights depend on where the image will be used, in what support and for what duration. There is more money to be made in rights than in daily rates. You are the sole owner of the "Copyright" and you are basically licensing the use of the said image for a specified use and for a specified time. Rights can vary dependent on the notoriety of the photographer and the support it will be used in.

Here is a Fee Guide that you may use as a Barometer. If you have any further questions, just write to me.

Best Wishes
Ben
http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/photo.html
and here: But rights = amount
http://photography.about.com/od/pricing ... 041505.htm
and here:
http://en.allexperts.com/e/s/st/stock_photography.htm

Board index Photography Technical Questions Selling photos