Board index Photography Technical Questions How to remove a stuck filter?

Technical Questions

How to remove a stuck filter?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
akeigher

Re: How to remove a stuck filter?

Post Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:21 pm

akmc_in_au wrote:I remembered reading this thread long ago. I've been having an issue recently which isn't quite the same but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I've been having issues with my CP filter getting stuck to the UV filter that I usually keep on the lens. A useful way to separate them is to unscrew the entire assembly and shove it in my shirt pocket for a couple of minutes. The air between them warms and expands, and voila, a nice, clean separation.

I have to try that. I have been having some issues with my two filters welding themselves together.

I also find that the cokin ring for their filter holder ALWAYS seems to get stuck on other filters. Its worse when you have a CP and it just keeps spinning!

madlights

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:43 pm

I use rubber bands as has been suggested...and also filter wrenches when I get home and the rubber bands haven't worked (as has been suggested too). B&W's don't seem to get stuck so easily since they are made of brass, but sure aren't cheap. It seems step rings can really get stuck, think it's 'cause they bend easier. Once I had one stuck on a filter so badly I used a small pipe wrench....don't do that. ;-)

dougj

Post Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:28 pm

Try a little graphite from a pencil to avoid sticking - rub the pencil tip on the threads and work the filter(s) a little, blow or brush off any excess.

Previous

Board index Photography Technical Questions How to remove a stuck filter?