Board index Photography Technical Questions image sizing

Technical Questions

image sizing

Discuss technical aspects of photography
bmax

image sizing

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:40 am

I have some psd and 16 bit tif i would like to post in a gallery. they are large, >40mb. if i convert them to jpg they lose quality. any suggestions?

dharden

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:32 pm

you using photoshop? (i assume so cos of the psd files...)

I'm sure people will have their own preferred methods and quality required (and porbably better methods!) but this works for me:

If i'm going to put an image on my galleries, I save the 16bit TIFF to keep it safe then resize it in photoshop to 800 x 600 and convert to 8 bit and sRBG profile. Then save it as a JPEG. Then i stick it into Image Ready and do 'Save Optimized As' and it goes from (initially) a 46Mb TIFF to about a 150Kb JPEG! Quality is fine for my purposes. Yeah OK it's not as fine detailed as the original but people do need to be able to view it easily! :)

HTH

Dave

dang

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:07 pm

Be sure you've made a copy of you photo first, OR "Save As" with a different name to preserve you're original. :wink: If you use "Save for the web" you'll remove your exif data.

dharden

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi Dang. I actually keep the same name on mine but it doesn't overwrite the tiff when I save as a jpeg. helps me keep track of which pic is which (with my lousy memory its helpful!)

I tend to keep the tiffs and jpegs in separate folders, which helps, but I have put them in the same one before and not had any problems....

good point about save for web. i've never used it and I didn't know it did that! I can vouch for image ready and "save optimized" maintaining the exif info....

Board index Photography Technical Questions image sizing