Board index Photography Technical Questions Sekonic L358

Technical Questions

Sekonic L358

Discuss technical aspects of photography
atkelley

Sekonic L358

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:03 pm

I recently purchased 2 AB400's and the Sekonic L-358and the book understanding exposures. I have used only the one alien bee so far. I do not understand the meter or how it works. that's another question in it's self.

Can anyone please tell me do I need the Synchro Cord For Flash Meters (29.95)
or the Digital Radio Transmitter Module(49.95)? Is there another way to use the meter with the lights?

How do I use the meter with the lights. I do not want my pictures to be over or underexposed.

Thanks so much for your help.

marc1962

Sekonic L358

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:09 pm

Hey, i'm not shure if i own the same meter but there's a icon on the top of the LCD screen whitch indicates flash, flashC (this is with cord) and some other options.
To determin your Aperture value, you (after setting ISO, shutterspeed etc.) only have to trigger the meter in this flash mode, without the C if don't have the cord, on the side of the sekonic and the flash icon will blinck. now you will have some seconds to trigger your AB400's and can read out your Aperture value.
(sorry for my bad English)
So in this way you dont need the cord or triggers.

Marc
Last edited by marc1962 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kleaf

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:04 am

To determine the exposure of the AB using the 358, attach the AB sync cord to the AB, then the other side into the connection on the front right side of the 358.

Press the mode button on the meter, then turn the big wheel to Flash Mode on the meter (3rd icon on the top, IIRC) Release the mode button and turn the big wheel again to set the shutter speed you want. (Make sure you don't go higher than the camera's max sync speed, she said, smacking her head :) Press the measure button on the side, the flash will fire, then the meter will indicate your f/stop. Set the shutter speed and f/stop as indicated on the meter, on your camera in manual mode. Connect the sync cord to the camera/AB then fire away-your exposure should be correct.

When I first started I always checked the exposure after making any adjustments to the AB. It's a good starting point, and you can always fine tune by reading your histo.

(Also, make sure your ISO is the same in camera as well as on the meter- indoors generally I set it at 100).

The averaging mode in the 358 is great when you're ready to use the 2nd AB for fill, but that's another post:)

Hope I got this right, it's been a while. The transmitter/PW receiver combo is a good addition for when you want to trigger the flash(es) remotely.

kl

Board index Photography Technical Questions Sekonic L358